Click here if you are having website access problems ×

TWEEL

DaveMorris

Nice option for trackdays, uses c/f and composites and would provide a super talking point in the pub car park at area meets.

See links here (sorry - still haven't worked out how to do it the posh way)

http://www.michelin.co.uk/uk/front/act_affich.jsp?news_id=14419&codeRubrique=43&titrePage=News%20Corporate&lang=EN

and here

http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/industry_news/day-10_1_2005#57i5f9ebg4

and one for the French (well it is Michelin)

http://fr.cars.yahoo.com/050118/194/484kw.html

Dave

I saw the display models at the Detroit auto show. They look quite slick. There are actually two non-pneumatic concepts they have. One is the Tweel which is basically a series of transverse flexible ribs with the tread bonded around them (picture here).

The other concept is closer to a conventional tire in that there is a continuous carcass (made up of many radial composite bands in some sort of matrix material) which supports the tread. (small picture here along with another, not as good, image of the Tweel).

Anyhow, the display prototypes they showed looked very cool. One thing that occurs to me with respect to use on a performance car is that it obviously takes away a pretty powerful tuning parameter (i.e. tire pressures) meaning that application matching would become quite a bit more important.

Dave

Edit: Multiple edits to fix odd formatting hiccup.

Edited by - xflow7 on 11 Feb 2005 16:13:39

Edited by - xflow7 on 11 Feb 2005 16:14:43

Edited by - xflow7 on 11 Feb 2005 16:15:07

"with respect to use on a performance car is that it obviously takes away a pretty powerful tuning parameter (i.e. tire pressures) meaning that application matching would become quite a bit more important."

that occured to me too. i presume they will sell them in different pre-set "pressures"

like on enduro/motocross anti-puncture tyres. the tyre is fitted over a foam ring. the density of the foam is rated to be equal to certain common tyre pressures, and you just buy the foam with the pressure you want...

To be sure, tires with differing characteristics could be produced as you say. I was more referring to the convenience of being able to just change tire pressures to suit, rather than have to experiment with multiple tires in order to find the one that works. That's what I meant by application matching.

*thumbup*

Dave

Isn't part of the reason for increasing pressure when fully loaded to prevent increased deformation of sidewall, which in turn creates increased heat build up in tyre ? Possibly talking horrocks here though.

On track having a tyre which didn't alter characteristics as the air inside it warmed up and expanded might be a bit of a benefit. I wonder if it'd catch on in F1 ?

Dave