Click here if you are having website access problems ×

speedo drive

fordy

So the car is built but the speedo won't work. I checked that the angle drive operates the speedo OK by attaching to the dremel so can only assume something is wrong with the worm drive in the gearbox. Looks a bit tight to get it back out with gearbox (6spd) in the car. Anyone know if this is possible to do. If so how?

Please don't tell me I have to take the engine and box back out.......

its a second hand box but I did change the oil seal and it did indeed seem to be there, ie there is a square hole in a round section end to plug the quill into. Just didn't check it from the otherside under the domed plug. Which I am kicking myself for now....

Archives suggest this has been done in situ before but to make it easier requires a hole in the passenger footwell tunnel side in the right place. Guess its out with the dremel and file on saturday then...

fordy,

Before you go making holes. remove the angle drive and brass top hat from the box and see if the drive wheel can be rotated freely by hand. If it can then it suggests you are missing the worm gear. If not then it could be the angle drive is duff. I had one that was DOA from CC.

Steve.

On the 5 speed box it's common for the drive gear (the 6 or 7 tooth worm one on the gearbox output shaft) to go loose on the shaft and move slightly until it's out of mesh with the driven gear (the 20 something tooth plastic one under the dome). As the 6 speed is closely related to the 5 speed I'm sorry to have to say that I suspect the same thing can happen.

So might not be missing as said previously but may have moved.

Only option is a pushbike speedo until the next gearbox rebuild and a dab of mig on the output shaft during the rebuild to stop it happening next time.

was a simple job in the end. The speedo needed recalibrating. Was set up for 13000 pulses per mile roughly so just wasn't registering. Resetting to around 8500 pulses per mile got it close. I then used gearcalc to work out what revs at a certain speed in a certain gear I should be pulling and tweaked according to that.

The dipswitch settings for the speedo are on Caerbonts website.

As ever searching the blatchat archives laid out enough clues........