Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Full Harness Belts

Edward Big Truck

Want to fit these on the pilot's side and have got price from Caterham - so far so good. But think I want to keep the inertia belts aswell - Caterham say it is not possible because they use the same pick up points. *confused* Naturally I bow to the manufacturer's knowledge but did I see something on here about being able to have both.Dont want to start taking panels off then poprivet things back together - this is what old age brings - being lazy

Shoulder straps use different mounts so no problem there.

Lap belts use the same same mounts. Can't see why you can't just buy some longer bolts and mount one above the other. For a while I had crotch straps mounted on the lap belt mounts, exactly the same as mounting inertia and harness belts together.

The bolts are a standard thread so even if Caterham don't do them a decent fastener shop will. From memory the standrad bolts go in an awful long way so they may even be long enough without changing them, a good rule of thumb is that there should be 1.5 times the bolt diameter screwed into the threaded anchor.

• Leadership Team

As Nick said I've done this in my car - it keeps the decision making passenger happier when we're touring 😬

Basically the belt needs to be free to move rotationally around the mounting bolt - this is achieved for harness OR lap belt fitment by using a "top hat" spacer". In order to fit both, it is necessary to either use 2 spacers and a longer bolt, or as I've done, have some "double reverse" top hats made. This is effectively a sleeve with a raised section around the middle. The raised section keeps both belts a distance apart enabling free movement, and the ability to swing the unused belt out of the way to the rear of the seat.

I now have a Tillet on the driver's side and it's impossible to do a setup with both - I wouldn't even attempt to fit the lap belts with a Tillet either *confused*

Stu.