Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Weber DCOE45 problem.

Richard Gibson

My car has a 1700 crossflow with twin DCOE45's. It has run fine forever, but now all of a sudden when I take a hard/medium right hand turn it starts to miss. Flood? It also feels like a plug lead has fallen off. The electrical system is not likely the problem. As soon as you come off the turn, you can bury the throttle forever and not have it miss again until a right hand turn. Left hand turns. No Problem. I assume this is something easy, but after having 10+ Lotus cars, I have never had any Weber troubles. Lucky me.

Any Suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

Richard Gibson

Washington DC, USA

Hi Richard, have you checked the float levels recently, maybe one has dropped allowing the carb to flood, apparently float height is quite critical on Webers, are you running the standard mechanical fuel pump? as the use of high flow/pressure electic pumps can upset the carbs, maybe there is some fuel condensation on the manifold which enters the cylinders under centrifugal force, strange that it should suddenly become a problem though, are the carb mountings secure, no air leaks as the motor shifts when cranking into the corner, hey it could be any number of things, but it'll be something real simple in the end, hope you can get it fixed soon, as a rough running motor is a real pain, especially when cornering.

Regards Nigel.

P.S. Hope Mr President catches up with the bastards that caused all the havoc, mayhem and grief last week, my thoughts are with you folks, from the peace and quiet of the New Zealand ccountryside, yours, Nigel.

Thank you for the thoughts of us all in the USA. I live about 10 minutes from the Pentagon is. I hear the boom, but it did not strike me as being something to worry about. There is only a mile apart from the one Reagan National Airport and the pentagon. So I am used to hearing plabes and loud noises all the time.

Back to the car problem.

I bought the motor from a chap in the UK, transported it here, installed it, started it up and I did not even have to adjust the carbs synch or RPM level. It ran perfect from the get go. And has ran perfect until this right hand turn problem. The carb's themselves have less than 5K miles on them and have the plastic floats. I have lowered the fuel level (by adjusting floats) and the only good thing I accomplished is that it will start missing a little later into the turn, but were talking a 5% improvement.

I do have the mechanical fuel pump and plastic floats.

Any othe Ideas?

Richard Gibson

Washington DC, USA