Click here if you are having website access problems ×

couple of quickies

phatcat

Getting towards the end of the build now, but still a bit of head scratching/assembly guide page turning going on...

1. What is the thin rubber strip for ( pic here)? I haven't found a reference to it yet in the assembly guide.

2. The fuel filler pipe cover inside the boot - how do you attach this? With which bolts/nuts? I believe you only drill 2 of the 4 holes - which 2? Is this to do with the fireproof boot floor or so you don't drill through the back of the boot and make unsightly holes in the rear of the car? Also not found anything on this yet in the guide.

Thanks.

I don't think the rubber strip is for that purpose, as it is a flat piece of rubber with no means of attaching. I think I have already identified the strip that is for that purpose, which is the same type as the piece that goes around the scuttle above the dash.

This rubber strip looks like a narrower version of the strip used between the rear wings and the boot - it's just a flat length of rubber.

Doh!

You're right of course - it was just stuck together a bit at the end.

In that case, the length of strip that is the same as the bit around the dash - what's that for?

Is that for something else inside the cockpit?

Is sticking the rubber on recommended by the way? Does it fall off otherwise? Or do people just remove it after the SVA?

phatcat, the strip is really only to pass the car through the SVA. As Richard has explained, it goes around the edges of the reverse/fog lamps, the underside of the indicator pods and the cycle wings (but as I was driving to my post build check it soon began to detach itself so isn't really designed to stay there long unless it's glued on, which I wouldn't advise and anyway it spoils the looks 😳)

You won't need this strip after the SVA so either keep it if you've glued it or use it for packing out the slight gap between the scuttle and the full-length aeroscreen to prevent unwanted draught Well that's what I used some of mine for anyway 😬

This time last year I was building RW04FUN

i used the other length of trim under the lower return of the dashboard.

and the SVA chap put his hand under there to look for sharp edges *wink*

used about 6 small spots of superglue per arch trim or it will fall off on way to SVA but use the glue on the under side where you wont notice when you pull it all off once you have passed