Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Latest X Power Plenum

Mr Locust

Rob,

Was that what I said though? 😬 I was merely clarifying the X-power nomenclature.

David,

good points, well made. I believe that WSCC have some sort of novice / expert system whereby you are considered novice until you have a maximum points class win. There are novices with 6 seasons of experience at least. *tongue*

Does anyone actually believe that the particular items mentioned will make such a massive difference as to put someone out in front by seconds though? With a view to keeping the costs down, the TB and plenum are probably cheaper than removing the head and porting valve/mods (which some competitors freely admit to already). Especially if you get a third party to do the work. As someone with an aversion to ripping perfectly sound engines apart, I actually quite like the bolt on bits approach to achieving the theoretical 140ps output for a 1600K in order to match the 1800 X-power/SS cars.

I do like the sound of the catalysts where required to be road legal bit in Mav's post. I'd forgotten about that old chestnut. Nice one Martin *wink* That potentially points to a very, very large class 6 due to the significant 'non roadgoing' contingent 😬

The whole point of starting this was to highlight (again) that there is considerable variation in specification that is accepted but unwritten within the class structure which are best discussed up front rather than having 'real' arguments about class infringement later.

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the only really level playing field is Class 1 where all the cars are basically 1.6VX or equivalent. Huge amount of fun and down to best driver on the day- I guess class 2 comes close based on Nick Potters performance at Curborough the other year.Having moved to Class 3 with an absolutely std 1.6K Supersport , 5 spd box and Yoko 48's it would look as if it's likely to be a lot less fun-but at least I'll make up the numbers.

It's a pity IMHO that there aren't more standard classes and mods restricted to the higher classes.

Edited by - MikeW on 18 Jan 2005 19:33:27

Ian - no idea, what did you say again 😬

I doubt the changes with bolt ons as discussed (tb. ecu, exhaust, verniers etc) will not result in anyone being siginificantly faster than anyone else *thumbup*, and I expect the k's at the front of the classes to be reasonably well matched *thumbup*

MikeW - do you mean not as much fun because you won't be near the silverwear *confused* as for your 2nd point and hence my suggestion of a class 3b for modified on plenum....

I have said this many times And I will repeat. We all agree classes 2 & 3 are intend for standard cars and entry level sprinting/hillclimbing, but how can anyone class an 1800 all steel xflow or all steel twink as standard 🤔 which the regs allow *confused* we always want to restrict the ksters but everyone else seems ok.

rob *smile*

robmar,

yes, not as much fun on the basis that it's the winning not the taking part that is important 😬

David, hope you're right but I was surprised/shocked how far I was off the pace at Curborough in August. I'd only had the car a couple of weeks so not very used to it but not sure I'll knock nearly 4 secs off now I am.

By the way I do realise you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people ........... 😬

MikeW

Mega Grad

Just a quick word on whether all the expensive mods make such a huge difference. The mods are fun to plan and carry out, but lets not get too carried away. If I remember correctly (and it is subject to irrational and unaccountable selectivity as a Saga Sevener 😬) Andy Nichol did very well (beat me anyway) in Class 2 last year in, what he said (!!) was a bog standard 1.8 K. Obviously he was very lucky......

I think many of us (in 2 and 3) have also been pretty humiliated by the times put up in Class 1 on a number of sprints.

Inevitably we all add bits to our sprint cars as we would if they were just road cars - it is just that we can tell ourselves there is so much more point to the expense!

I vote that somebody checks Andy's engine before the start of this years sprints *wink*

Mike

• Area Representative

Another point to note, is that none of the class 2 runners last year beat the class winning Curborough time of Nick Potter in his Academy car the previous year (with one exception - Adams practice time, but only by two tenths).

Class 2 at Llandow 2003 was won by John Christy in Simon Fletcher's Standard 2001 Academy car, with Simon second.

There's more that comes from the driver than the car!

I remember saying to Andy at the Llandow trackday last year that his car was very quick for a standard car. I was struggling to keep with him on the straights, let alone the corners where his better 720 tyres came into play within the safety limits of a trackday . Its a good car and driver combo *thumbup*

Edited by - Graham Perry on 19 Jan 2005 14:08:05