Click here if you are having website access problems ×

vaux 2.0litre cold starting

Tonmawrie

I am currently having trouble with my hpc starting if left for more than a few days.It turns over okay but doesnt seem to want to fire,and it will only fire with no throttle,if given any throttle at all it has to be left to clear before attempting to start again.Its got throttle bodies and mbe ignition.Ive put in new plugs but may also change the leads as these are now 12 years old.any suggestions before I take it for a diagnostic check through.Also,any reccomendations as for replacement lead seats.

Thanks jeremy

There are several elements of the ignition map your MBE ignition/injection runs which have an effect here. Sadly, because almost all engine tuners do not have the ability to do cold start mapping as they cannot simulate the environment, then the map if more often than not sadly lacking in a decent cold start strategy.

The maps affected are likley:

Crank Exit Speed

Ign v temp

fueling v temp

Axial Fueling map

To correct these you will need to tell me the model of ECU you have (written on it - 3 digit number beginning with 9 - likley 912. 956, 941, 967 or 970) then I can determine the mapping strategy and advise you how to change the map.

Can you also advide if you are PC literate - if you can use MS excel, you will soon be able to grasp Easimap - the software required to remap the ECU cold start maps.

Also plse confirm if you have a laptop or a PC with an RS232 serial port you can get near your car.

If you want to discuss you can call me - email me and I'll send you my number.