Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Diff problems

simonbell

Just started the build today and have been hampered by a number of problems *mad*

One of these was the diff. I purchased a new diff from our local gearbox people......yes a genuine brand new one still in Ford wrapping / box etc.....had been in stock for years apparently.........made sure it was the push in spline driveshaft type. We fitted it today, got it centred etc etc.........then tried to fit the driveshafts *mad* *mad* *mad*

It appears that the bearings in the diff are a smaller diameter than the driveshafts so they would not fit.

I should be able to get them changed this week, just wondered if anyone else was aware of there being different bearing sizes?

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Simon

I had an LSD from TranX (7" Sierra) that had a centre bore to the inner diff housing (that the splined driveshafts must pass through to engage in the 'planets' and that the outer bearings press onto) that was smaller than the OD of the push fit caterham splined driveshafts. It was only after I had built it into the case in place of the 'open' diff, and tried to insert the shafts that I noticed the problem.

At the time I thought TranX had machined the LSD incorrectly but maybe there are slightly differing types?

My fix was to stip and have the inner bore machined out a few thou. This was the only difference. In all othe respects including the splin cut it was identical to the open diff that I had removed *confused*

I would advise some careful measuring to see exacly where your problem is.

You say that you think it is the bearings but that cannot be so.

The bearings press onto the inner diff housing! exactly as I have described above! and it is this that the splined shafts pass through before engaging in the planets!

All the best

Steve

See My Caterham Fireblade Here.