Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Piper, Kent, Raceline, Dunnel Cams or what?

Slomove

I want to upgrade my 2.0 Zetec (stock cams/45DCOE carbs/Emerald) with more interesting cams. So far I found a few that should work from Piper (e.g.285), Raceline, Kent (e.g.FZ2002) and Dunnell. Maybe there is more out there. Prices are different but not that much. Are there any technical, performance or reliability reasons to prefer one over the other?

Thanks, Gert

My first thought would be that you should be sure to get new cams, not reground cams 🙆🏻. The reason is that base circle will be the same as stock cams. Very important if you try to make another cam change.

My cams are Kent Focus 12 and they work just fine. In conjunction with cams you should have Esslinger or some competent entity do some head work to improve the air flow. Mine has also been skimmed.

It is my opinion that the Brits have been playing with the zetec motor longer and in more applications than us yanks. For that reason I suspect that more development has gone into zetec stuff on that side of the water. My specs came from Raceline and the motor works great, try it next time we get together for a blat or track day. Or come down and we'll take a spin so that you can experience it for yourself. Also, call me if you like. [8)

Slomove

I use only Kent FZ2001 or 2202 cams in Zetecs. No problems. I designed my own profile to give more power than the 2002, had it ground but lost interest when I got into Duratecs. I gave them cams to Metal Mickey. If he ever gets around to fitting and testing these they may be come available.

Piper make very good products as well. I started using Kent around fifteen years as they were willing to grind motorcycle cams for me. My previous cam suppliers were a bit erratic. Late supply, wrong profiles and inaccurate grinds. Lobes were all over the place. Kent have never let me down, cams are accurate, so there was no need to switch to another supplier.

Yankeedoodoo is correct. Re-ground cams are OK but you cannot acheive the lift as you can normally only increase by 1 mm over stock by grinding the base circle. Kent cams are ground from cast blanks. He is also correct about the porting and airflow. You are wasting your time if you fit cams and do not port and skim the head.

AMMO

Edited by - AMMO on 17 Dec 2004 05:20:45

Thanks Brad and Ammo! Looks like it is down to Piper and Kent. I will indeed have the head shaved and ported, not sure yet where. I talked with Esslinger but did get the impression they were not that much interested in Zetecs anymore. Piper recommended upgrading the valve springs.

Anybody (Ammo?) knows if I also need new spring retainers, tappets or other stuff with the Piper 285 or Kent FZ2002 cams? Or is it just a drop-in and re-tune? Also, when skimming the head, how much? I suppose I don't need to touch the pistons?

Thanks, Gert

Slomove,

Funnily enough thats just what I did recently, head and crank in a samsonite case.

Weighed 42kg all up, no problems with security, as most (but not all) airports don't x-ray baggage at check in.

I have carried both a Caterham Diff and Duratec Crank as hand luggage in the last year. Does cause raised eyebrow's, however, a brief explanation and a good attitude is all that is needed.

Duratec Se7en SV, built in Dubai, pics here! *cool*

Gert

I have done a lot of cylinder head work for customers in California / Hollywood / Beverly Hills 90210 in the past. I used to send heads DHL. Excellent service but quite dear. Now I get the customers in the US to collect via their own courier as this works out much cheaper.

I recently sent a big parcel to Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles. It was collected by UPS and worked out half the price if I had organised it from here. Also do this for Germany, the rest of Europe, Australia etc. UPS rates are so much higher over here than the rest of the world. They also offer cheap services abroad that we don't get.

Even if you don't have a courier account you must know somebody who has. Maybe we can do this. If I knew somebody in the States I could recommend to do the work I would. Maybe you need to do a bit of investigation and find somebody capable. If you can't I would be happy to help.

AMMO

Dr. Gert: Another mod that doesn't cost a fortune and makes a difference that you can notice when driving (IMO) is the ally flywheel from Fidanza (Around $375). The stock FW weighs about 23 pounds, the ally version a bit less than 9 pounds. The Fidanza FW motor seems to spin up faster under acceleration and feels less restrained. You can probably figure out the ohysics of the sitution better than I *cool*

Thanks for all the hints guys, right now I am checking out how much it may cost me to send to Ammo. My company has a good discount with UPS. It may not be that bad (I hope).

Brad, I have a lightened flywheel already (not Fidanza but a shaved down steel one @11 pounds). Got it put in together with the semi-close T9 and the LSD. But you are right, it is a noticable difference, especially when shifting.

Sean, I will check with Cosworth but the name just sounds very expensive. Their web site is only about the UK headquarters. There is nothing of Torrance mentioned. Well I can give them a call.

Gert