Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Competition Exhaust

Sid Spalding

I'm getting my 1.6 SS kit delivered on the 14th April. YES ! I had planned to swap the standard exhaust for a 4-1 4" competition exhaust once I'd passed my SVA for two reasons :-

1) The performance (an extra 5bhp apparently)

2) THAT sound !

However, upon visiting Caterham today I was advised that the sound is not that much different and I would certainly not gain that much performance. What does everyone think ? Am I wasting my money ? I need to know soon because I will ask Caterham to cut the hole in the bodywork ready for those 4 pipes !

You'll sleep better with the competition exhaust. I'd go for it. You'll only want to add it later if you don't.

From what I understand although this could be wrong, the comp exhaust gives you more top end power and less tourque. However, the difference is minimal. The point is there is a difference and if it was me, I'd only be wanting it later. This is evident by the continued tweeking my car gets!

My old crossflow 4:1 sounded great - much nicer than the 4:2:1 exhaust. Very different engine though.

Alex

Alex Wong

alex.wong@lotus7club.co.uk

http://www.alexwong.net

Home : 44-(0)121-440 6972

Fax : 44-(0)121-440 4601

I take it by 4-2-1 manifold you mean the standard manifold contained within the car's body Alex, as opposed to the SLR 4-2-1?

No matter, if you are thinking that you will EVER tweak the engine then a competition exhaust is a necessity. The standard manifold is way to short. The K should have long manifold pipes before being "collected" by either a 4-1 or 4-2-1. FWIW I think the 4-2-1 is only for the SLR exhaust.

A good article is in a recent edition of Cars & Car Conversions. Dave Walker (Technical Editor) does some experimentation on the K with regards to bolt-on goodies. From memory, I believe he started with a comp exhaust. It is generally acknowledged that the comp exhaust flows enough for all K upgrades..... The only difference with the 4-1 and 4-2-1 is the SLR has a slight "flattening" of the torque curve around 4500rpm with the 4-1 which the 4-2-1 irons out. I believe this is only for the VHPD engine though.