Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear dampers to de-dion tube

Andy Watson

Just as a matter of interest, has anyone had difficulty fastening the bottom of the rear dampers to the de-dion tube? I changed my roll over bar last weekend and found that the hole at the bottom of the damper (at both sides of the car)wasn't square with the threaded hole in the de-dion tube. With a bit of force I managed to square-up the hole in one of the dampers by pressing down on the forward side of the bush. But, on the second damper, I think I may have damaged the threads in the de-dion tube - Oh dear. I will investigate tomorrow with a set of taps.

Andy

And there was me thinking it was my kack-handed assembly techniques - drivers sid e went in lwaving shocker bush at an angle, but passenger side - odd angle vertically and horizontally - we'll see how long the bush lasts.

Bri

I noticed this on mine. After 6 years of motorsport when I replaced my shocks the poor state of the bottom bush surprised me, because it indicated that the angles of operation were clearly not quite right. As a consequence I made a modified mounting so that the bottom mounting bolt for the dampers now runs parallel with the Di-Dion across the car rather than through the di-dion. It seems to corner better on the limit now as well. I suspect this may be because the bottom bush can now rotate as the di-dion reaches the limits of its travel, whereas in the previous standard position it loaded the bush up in extremis and over a period of time damaged the bush.