Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brooklands Aeroscreens info

Big Brother

Can anybody give me an idea of the approximate cost of a set of new Brooklands Aerosreens with the ally "strap"? (to replace the standard screen)

I am also after any info on who sells them.

1.5 hours of "surfing" has had 0 results!

Also how "good" are they, I have heard a few horror stories of buffeting and stone induced trauma!

Anybody with a 2nd hand pair for sale out there?

Steve

Emission Internet

Steve,

I have been using aeros exclusively for the last 4 years, and have no wish to going back to the full screen. The air flow is smoother than with the big screen and no doors, and you don't get the same level of back draft you get with the doors on.

As for stones etc. You need to wear glasses/goggles or a helmet. treat the car as a foour wheeled bike and dress accordingly - especially in rain, snow and cold temperatures. You do get a lot more exposure to the weather.

cool.gifteeth.gifcool.gif

Dave H

• Leadership Team

As an experiment last week, I took my screen off completely - I loved it up to around 50mph, but found that the airflow straight into the face waws unfomfortable above that speed.

I suspect that had I had aeroscreens fitted, these would have carried most of the flow over my head? Are aeroscreens more efficient than the R500 type moulded items? They look great, but I can;t see how much airflow they would divert.

I guess I need to take some passenger rides at the next Caterham gathering, but opinions would be welcome.

Regards - Michael.

Hi Steve,

I have just bought two screens from Kimble Engineering, they cost me £46+vat each and are the pukka Brooklands screens. John Kimble is really helpful and knows the 7. You can call him on 01803 835757. I called caterham and they want 58.64+vat so I was chuffed (Demon Thieves want around 65+vat !!)

As for the stantion, I am waiting for Caterham to get the 'behind wiper' type in at the moment (should be this week - I am told). The over wiper motor version would require the motors to be removed - bit of a drag as I want to be able to swap. The cost of the stantion is 104+vat - If i remember right - But hands off the first one - its mine teeth.gif

All up my screens, stantion and the VAT was less than DT's want for them before the VAT!!! The mirrors were 30 quid for two inc postage and VAT, then just a few M4x15mm screws and nuts and some 35mm ones for the mirrors..bingo - can catch flys all I want now smile.gif

Hope thats helps.

Can also try CobraSpares for lots of nice mirrors and they also do the screen (I order two mirrors yesterday and they were very helpful - supplied a dimension for me to check etc)

Phil Waters

Q181 ABL - 1600 X/F smile.gif

Edited by - philwaters on 25 Jul 2001 13:37:45

Edited by - philwaters on 26 Jul 2001 13:38:55

I suspect that had I had aeroscreens fitted, these would have carried most of the flow over my head? Are aeroscreens more efficient than the R500 type moulded items? They look great, but I can;t see how much airflow they would divert.

Has anybody compared the airflow of the "perspex/JPE" aeroscreen with the "Brooklands" type.

As mush as I love the classic looks of the Brooklands items, the JPE type screen does look the dogs danglies! (and if you include the price of the stanchion with the Brooklands screens...its cheaper!teeth.gif

Steve

Emission Internet

Edited by - steve motts on 12 Jul 2001 12:43:54

Edited by - steve motts on 12 Jul 2001 12:44:57

I went for the areos last year.

Partly becuse you can adjust them partly because on the stanchion its a very quick swap between the screen and aeros.

I like the JPE jobbies looks too. It must be lighter than the aero's assembly by a lot!

As for aerodynamics.. The JPE is across the whole thing with mirrors to upset airflow and is at fixed angle.

The aeros have edges and brackets and mirrors to upset the air flow but you can remove the passenger one and tilt them back to any angle.

I would expect a helmeted person sitting behind an aero or JPE screen to be more aerodynamic than with no screen at all.

I get much better fuel ecom on long runs with aero's over the standard screen and better top end performance by a long way..