Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High oil temp?? (At Goodwood)

billh

I was at Goodwood at the weekend and apparently the only 7 there with an oil temp guage. The temperature was getting up to almost 120 (water temp steady at around 80) and was getting concerned. On the way home at a steady 5000 rpm cruise (6 speed box) it was rising to 100+.

I've done a search and this seems to answer my questions: http://www.blatchat.com/T.asp?id=47989

I think the problem was a little too much oil in the engine, as I did overfill it slightly. So sorry to the various other 7 owners there I was asking for advice off/worrying (Ignorance is bliss *smile*)

It's a 140bhp k series with appollo tank btw

Yeah... its a water tempreature guage with an oil temp sender and a water temp sender with a switch to change from one sender to the other. I'd guess an Oil Tempreature guage has markings for higher than 120degrees before going into the dreaded red.

actually, now that i think about, my previous caterham (which won a well known 24hour race in America!!) had both an oil temp guage and water temp guage

but neither of them worked

*cool* *cool* *cool*

Bill,

I presume you have just wired both your oil temp. sender and your water temp sender into the Caterham water temp. gauge.via a new two way switch. I've done that myself and it works well.

However, for this to work properly both of the senders must be Caterham supplied water temperature senders as these have the correct calibration for the gauge. I once used the standard VX sender in my HPC and it indicated 20 or 30 degs too high due to it not having the correct calibration.

Forgive me if this is a case of eggs, sucking, Grandma, teaching etc. *wink*

Paul