Click here if you are having website access problems ×

carcover

Ian Longhurst

Cover Systems is the one to go for. It's about 90 quid and easily as good as the Covercraft one which is 240ish. Fitted, fully waterproof, breathable and won't scratch the car.

A search in the archives here or on the se7ens.net site will throw up the number.

A word of warning. I used one of these covers (I'm pretty sure it's a carcraft one) last winter and it snowed on the car whilst I was away over Christmas, and when I uncovered the car the paintwork had suffered serious pimpling. This was on an Elan where pimpling is known to be a potential problem due to moisture trapped in the fibre-glass during manufacture, but the car had a 10 year old respray which had weathered perfectly before this incident. It may not be relevant to Ally bodied cars, but those who have any fibreglass bodywork may be interested.

I have left the Elan uncovered and outside since then and the paintwork has recovered somewhat, but it is still not completely back to normal.

Sparkey

Mine (Cover Systems) was left out in all weathers (hood on and off) and endured snow and serious rain with no ill effects. Though you do have to take care when taking it off if it's really cold as it could freeze to the car (think it mentions this in the "user guide"...

It also survived a marathon bird sh*tting contest that meant I burnt it (when removed from the car with a long handled grabber!) rather than wash it. That's when I bought the Covercraft one - and regretted paying 160 over the odds!

I too have a 'Covercraft' one. I find it really good for the occasional wetting during the last few months. I got it via these for sale ads on this site. Good value when purchased like this.

I am spoiled now 'cos for the winter (my garage is less than water proof!) I purchased a 'Carcoon system (again 2nd hand via these ads). Really is the D's B's for storage!!!

Am I missing something here???

My insurance through TLC (assuming I still even have insurance!) states that my 7 has to be in a ,modern lock up garage, concrete construction between the hours of dusk 'til dawn, and have visits each time a passing Robin F##ts.

I have a lock up garage, rented and I even have a 'pull-over' canvas / polyprop garage to cover my babe when parked at home and its raining.......so what's all this about under tarps, left out in the snow, covered in bird s##t! etc?

What insurance have you got and where do I get it???

Paul T

MSM did not seem fussed that my car is left on the road. Althought I will get a lockup (if I can find one in my area) as the dirt is playing havoc with the polished ali.

Greg, Q 880 RAE (Green/Ali XF)

MSM are only not fussed if it's below a certain "value", but I think that's quite high (25k rings bells for some reason).

Mine's on a secure bit of land (ie.e. between security gates) but sometimes gets left outdoors if I'm not back before HID.

Carcoons look great but I don't fancy blowing one up through the little valve. Unless you can get a suitable "talk piece" and I could get said HID to gas into it that way...

Andy.

When I first got the 'coon I thought I'd see how long it took to fully inflate (it uses two computer type cooling fans). I guessed it would be like watching paint dry and take half an hour plus; wrong!!! Five minutes and all sorted. Incredible.

Paul T

This is odd I insured my new 7 with TLC (Sabre not Independent) a month ago and despite living in S London SW2 and not having a garage they were OK with this.

The premium is probably loaded somewhat but still affordable.

I park it in the front garden with a cover systems cover ( seems excellent esp. @ £89 ) and touch wood no problems so far.

Jan

Chris

The cover is excellent and BIG if had had it for Le Mans sleeping in the car under the cover might have been more comfy than the tent as it's so r o o m y. Mind you I thought it a bit odd a few weeks ago when someone enquired as to whether you could fit 2 kids in behind the seats...methinks there are a few misconceptions flying around.

Jan

PS Andy tongue.gif tongue.gif

Just for you.

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Jan T

Mmmmm. Thanks. I shall have to investigate. I live in an old Castle, converted to eight apartments, but so 'out of the way' its even a mile down the drive way before you get to the place. If anyone could find it they deserve to steal the car and anything else they find!

Must be something to do with postcodes or some such nonsence!

Anyway, thanks for the info!

Paul T