Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Grease Leaking from front suspension

clarkey

During a track day, I get loads of grease leaking from the front suspension of my Superlight R, from the wheel bearings, and now from the bottom of the uprights. There is enough for it to leave grease down the side of the car.

I assume that this is something to be concerned about, even though there doesn't appear to be any play or harshness anywhere. Has anyone else experienced this? Should I replace bits, or is repacking bearings and replacing seals enough?

Thanks for your help.

Grease leaking from the wheel bearings is unusual if the rear hub seals are in good condition and the bearings are not overheating. Are you sure that the bearings have not been overtightened?

I would clean re-pack and replace the seals making sure there is not too much grease.

I have always used Castrol LM and never had too much trouble.

The lower trunnions should be filled with EP90 rather than grease but I thought that the SLR had a spherical joint in this position to replace the older style bronze trunnion.

Superlight R's don't have trunnions (Standard/Triumph Stanpart bits).

Is the felt seal in place around the wheel bearing? If displaced/tatty it could cause this.

Also, don't forget that this unusual occurence of hot weather will lead to decreased viscosity. To put it another way, it'll run out easier!!!

I was able to pour the 'Swarfega' out of its container at the weekend rather than scoop it out!!!