Click here if you are having website access problems ×

dry sump tower cap (top bit)

gavinp

Incidentally, I always seem to vent a lot of oil through the breather too, so I think a little "add-on" to the inlet of the conning tower, designed to force the oil downwards might help prevent this.

I'm going to have a go this Winter.

Steve

I'll try and describe it! It's the cap you unscrew to put oil in, at the top of the dry sump tower, and yes once you pull it all out, the cap is connected to a gold big tube thing with the dipstick running down the centre!

Maybe I'll take a photo to compare and contrast.

Nigel - mine leaks too much I think. After a strong run roaund the track there is oil all over the engine bay, floods of it, all out of the top of the tower. I admit I do over fill, so that it finds it's level.

On normal runs, there is a pool of oil near the o-ring on the cap of the dry sump tower.

I do have a catch tank - Mocal.

gavin

Superlight R #41

Mine too. Scuttle normally covered with oil and stones that have bounced around until they fell into the oil. It's not coming through the seal in the cap though. It's blowing through the air vent. Have you got a catch tank? Is there a lot of oil around that?

..the air vent? Do you mean on the catch tank?

I have a pipe coming off the second hole on the catch tank, that vents under the car, so it is definitely coming out the seal.

g

Superlight R #41

We ought to arrange an SLR owners day where we can all investigate each others car-problems in person. *idea*

The Se7ens list has proposed a meeting in Gaydon, and the Heritage Centre (or whatever it's called) on 18th July. Maybe we can all group together there?

Damn, love too, but in Spain then. We need a register as well!

I am going to Snett with SELOC on 8th July. Am a member of RMA and do most of their Snet/Brands/Bedford days.

Any other dates or occasions?

g

Superlight R #41

Gavin,

That sounds like the bit I have. Mine is however missing the rubber seal so not sure it will help you much. As it took some hefty mole grips to get off originally it has a few markings on the cap.

You're welcome to it for a cheque that covers postage costs and a fiver to NTL. Email me if you want it.

Steve