Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Wing Fixings

smutly

Anyone know where I can get old of a Clinch nut tool to put back the fasteners that I had to pull out of the body panel when removing the rear wing? 2 fixings just spun round leaving me no choice put to pull them out. As it's only 2 of the fixings I could replace them with rivets, plastic or metal but I thought I thought it would be better to do the job right.

I only use 4 of the 10 or so fasteners that Caterham provide and it stays on OK. I guess it depends if your two missing ones are together or just two missing at random.

For a small number of rivnuts you can improvise a tool with a long bolt, a nut and some washers. Put the nut onto the long bolt then a washer and finally screw it into the rivnut four or so turns. Then put the rivnut into the hole in the body, hold the bolt with one spanner and wind the nut down against the top of the rivnut. Continued tightening of the nut will collapse the rivnut body in the intended manner. Pretty time consuming and you need at least three hands but cheap....

Wings back on now. Left one missing fixing out and used 1 rivet close by the second missing. I'll bear in mind the alternative method for the rivnut fixings, cheers.

All this came about because the previous owner had assembled the watts linkage completly wrong - yet it still worked! Gary from Freestyle pointed out the long link arm should be on the upper chassis fixing, mine was on the lower. When I went to correct this I discovered the whole thing was wrong on both sides. The bell crank had the offset on the wrong side and the short arm had the relief facing out! The drivers side long link arm had been fouling the caliper removing metal off the arm!

So hopefully now all is as good as I can make it (A frame mount is lower type not upper mounting type) I should see some difference in the handling.