Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Temp gauge problems and front susp bottom ball joints

Subaru Blue SV

My temp gauge was reading low, then was working normal. now has stopped working.

Without getting too techie (it is still under warranty) what colour are the wires i need to check and wherabouts are they on the K series engine. (wheres the sender).

Is it more likely to be the sender.

With regards the bottom ball joint on the front suspension. I noticed the upper part of the ball that is visible looks dry.

Does this need to be lubricated ?

Almost certain to be the sensor.

The sensor is on the water rail above the exhaust manifold. Remove the connector and short to earth (body) with igntition on. The gauge should then read full hot. If so, it's the sensor.

Mine failed at about 1500 miles. Replacement came next day and took about 5 minutes to fit. Use some PTFE tape round the thread and don't overtighten. I didn't lose any coolant when I changed it.

Loads about this in the archives - use the search *smile*

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. First 2000 miles completed!

It's a great question Guy, but one to which I don't know the answer.

Basically inside the thing is a temperature sensitive resistor which should run and run. Most failures in electronics usually turn out to be something mechanical so I just wonder whether the bond between the resistor and the outside world is failing due to heat cycling and vibration.

It should hardly be a surprise to the designer but it's a crazy world! A good question to ask CC, as it's such a common fault.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Yep, strange isn't it! They are a passive part, so not really sure why they fail so early into their life.

The failed one doesn't rattle, so no major mechanical failure - I'm very tempted to cut it open and have a look inside...

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. First 2000 miles completed!

Looks like the sensor then. I'll get a new one under the warranty.

With regards the bottom suspension Joint, cars done 23K miles. it was the caterham press SV seen mostly in top gear so i guess if it was worn it was changed at the factory.

Thanks for all your help *biggrin*

you can feel if the bearing is worn , jack the front of the car up so the wheel is off the ground , remove your wheel , and then lift the lower wishbone , if there is play in the bearing you will feel it .

Bearing is chap from caterham and easy to change ....

Dave

Dave you say the spherical joint is easy to replace but mine has a blind circlip. ie no holes for the pliers. I have tried everything to get it out but no joy. Any ideas?

I have tried drilling. I have welded the bearing to stop the circlip rotating and filed down an 'o' ring remover to hook under it. Still not managet to get it out.

S7MAD