Click here if you are having website access problems ×

spare wheel carrier removal advice??

vinnie m

just removed original 14" wheels and fitted 13" with lower profile tyres too, I have now decided that i will do away with all that unwanted mass hanging out over the back of my pride and joy!.

question is what the hell do I now do with all that frame work hanging out the back??

Just about to do the same to my car. My thoughts are, just hacksaw it off, then work out how to finish it off nicely.

My thoughts are to try to make it replaceable for long trips etc where a spare might be handy.

Any other suggestions welcomed

I'm sure this has been covered lots. One useful bit of advice is don't use a hacksaw use a plumbers slice for cutting copper pipes. Man enough for steel and guaranteed square cut. Couple of steel or ally spigots bonded onto the carrier half with cross drillings for Rclips to fasten to car.

I've got some plastic bungs that fit the tubes and finish them nicely. I did the same thing about 5 years ago (well 10 more likely). I found some bungs, wanted 2 but had to buy a bag of 100. Got about half of them left. Yours for the price of a stamp.

I've just taken mine of completely, no stubs just a nice flat back with the panel cut outs hidden by the No plate and the light reattached via ally bracket to chassis.

I've drilled the chassis (OK if you don't use watts linkage) and put in threaded inserts, I've also had brackets made up that I can attach if I do want to carry a spare. It looks tidy and is solid. The proof of the job will be in a c. 3000mls run through France and Spain starting next Friday.

I'll let you have an update when I return and if you wish and if I can figure the technology I'll mail you photos and dimensions.

Regards

Paul M.