Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Stack dash problems

Bob_r

Whilst cruising home last night I noticed that the display on my Stack dash was cycling through it's display levels without the switch being operated.

Further investigation has shown that when in the car and stationary with the engine running, the display will cycle to the next display if the throttle is blipped, on occasion when in this state switch 3 becomes inoperative.

Anyone else experienced anything similar, or have any idea's re what may be the problem, so far I have been unable to find anything relevant on the Stack website.

Bob

Bob

I had the opposite problem,it wouldnt scroll at all.This was traced to a faulty switch,they dont seem to be very robust and it sounds as though yours is still making contact even though it isnt being pushed.Pull the wires off the back of the switch and see if this cures it.If so then a couple of quid for a new switch should sort it.

Had a play with the wires on the back of the switch and this seems to have stopped the scrolling, in the garage anyway, I will try it on the road later.

Wires are fixed tight to the switch - should they pull off relatively easily, also how is the switch held into the dash? not much room up behind there for messing!

thanks for the comments so far,

Bob

I've had problems when turning the ignition off when the fan is running... there seems to be some back emf which screws the Stack dash up, symptom is the rev counter moving erratically and not settling at zero.

This could be the Emerald ECU mind, since the tacho drive comes from there.

Anyone else had this problem? It clears if I leave it turned off with the battery disconnected completely for a minute or two so there's no great disruption.

Now done a short Blat, and the cycling seems to have stopped, so the switch must be faulty.

Will attempt to change it as soon as I can get a new one.

One other concern, according to the Stack manual, when I turn the ign on, a low oil pressure should display and the red warning light should come on - neither happen on mine, is this a Caterham feature?

Thanks again everyone for your earlier replies,

Bob

Bob,

I recon that the warning only appears when the engine is running; I had warnings about low oil pressure and warm water when the earth connection failed.

You could teasily test the features of your instrument by removing the wire from the oil pressure sender.

/r

The pressure reading goes to 999 on a disconnected sender, so no alarm as it is above the low threshold. A lot of the Stack alarms are "gated", so the rpms must have risen above the "gate rpm" to register. OILP is *NOT* gated, so should come on at standstill. What is the OILP reading without the engine running? It should always be zero.

Peter

You are right about how the Stack normally works, but Caterham specified a gated oil pressure, so unless the car is a Blackbird (which is not a standard 'Caterham' spec: the low oip P warning will come on with the ignition), the oil pressure warning will not come on unless revs are above the threshold.

I think this is a pity, because if you have a big oil light, it does not come on either to show the bulb is ok unless you wire it to a eperate sensor (which I have done)

I would echo the point about Stack service - they are very good. My tachometer needle broke recently after 3 years, and they took the unit in and repaired it (quite a big job it seems) foc with no fuss.