Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauxhall 2.0 Oil Pressure Dropping

stormcp

Many thanks for all your help on my last post (Dropping Oil Pressure).

I have stil got problems so if anyone had any ideas that would be a great help.

I am running a HPC with standard engine and wet sump. When I start up I have between 4-5 bar on the guage, then once warmed and driven farely hard it drops to 2 bar. Sometimes at two bar the tappetts start making a noise. I think it must starve the engine of oil at higher revs.

I have been through all suggestions listed below:

I have changed oil filter

Changed Oil (Castrol GTX)

Checked sender unit and connection

Checked oil pressure release valve and all o.k.

Changed the sump baffle and the oil pick up is immaculate

Taken rocker cover off and all oil ways are aslo immaculate

Tried filling with oil over the top line of dipstick to see if that made any difference

I don't think it is the guage as the tappetts would not make the noise

So any ideas on what might be happening.

Could it be the oil pump? maybe clogged but bare in mind the engine has only done 12K.

Could it be the oil? I have bought some comma Syner-G but have yet to change it to see if that makes any odds.

The only other thing I noticed was on the oil pick up pipe it was just a pipe going into a round whole in te foam baffle. Shoul the pipe have a gause or metal watering can type end to sieve the oil.

Many thanks for all of your help on advance.

Cheers

Matt ☹️

Yellow Blur!

Same engine as mine, until recently I was using mobil 1 and if oil level dropped slightly below min level the tappets started to rattle, topping up oil cured problem. I now run with syn G and have yet to hear any tappet noise. If its any consolation my pressure guage reads 2 at idle and 4 while driving.

My old supersprint used to have wildly fluctuating readings and i cured that by putting in a non electrical system with a micro oil pipe direct to the guage, this gave a far more accurate steady reading.

Thanks guys,

Any ideas on this point?

The only other thing I noticed was on the oil pick up pipe it was just a pipe going into a round whole in te foam baffle. Should the pipe have a gause or metal watering can type end to sieve the oil.

Cheers

Matt

the yellow blur

No, Matt, that's correct as it is for the standard CC VX installation. I think if you go to the oil grades suggested you will minimise the problem, although I believe you will always get some tappet rattle after sustained high revs. The best way to overcome this is solid tappets.

Paul

I had same problem on carb wet sump XE. Caterham said there was nothing wrong , Millwood suggested problem with hydraulic tappets - changing them made no difference. Eventually, head came off and oilways cleaned out. There seems to have been some cr4p in there(swarf from manufacture?). Problem now completely gone. Rock solid oil pressure readings, no tappetty noises and seems to rev better at high RPM. I THINK that the problem only related to plumping up the tappets, and did not risk lunching the engine.

Mobil 1 15/50 would be suitable for the engine as the oil is simply getting too thin when hot. It is well versed on this site that the tappets become noisy under high revs and it is also well versed that Mobil 1 15/50 is the solution.