Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT HELP

Ian F

Guys,

I need help, my car has just failed its MOT on the Exhaust Emissions test, specifically the Lambda probe. The car is a K 1.8 S/S but has been laid up over the winter. Apparantely the target for the car is 1.09 and I can only get to 1.34, the guy at the Garage tells me this means either I have an air leak or the Lambda''s knackered, either way the car is running too lean. It drives OK and doesn't feel under powered vs normal. Anyone got any suggestions, or have any info on what the lambda limit is from their test results??

Many Thanks

IAN ☹️

Thanks Guys, I tried the blat for half an hour and have checked the regs and all is well, I've even tweaked the fuel pressure regulator, if anything its worse than before! Looking at the plugs they are very grey meaning that I'm running very lean, I've also whipped out the lambda probe (I think this could be the problem!) it is also very grey/white, should be black?

So, is there any kind soul out there who would mind lending me their K series lambda probe to try and pass the MOT (next Friday), if this works then clearly I will invest in a new probe (£100, ouch). Happy to buy the generous soul a pint.

IAN

PS I'm very local to the Wotton Hatch in Surrey (Guildford) *confused* *confused* *biggrin*

What age is it - pre august 1998 kit built cars only need a visible smoke test (it should say amateur or kit build on the reg document).

If it is in this category and they are testing for a catalyst'd car it will never pass. Post 1998 cars have to pass an emissions test regardless of how they were built

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk

Glenn,

With a catalytic car they don't just test the actual emissions. The car also has to show the correct lambda figure even if emissions are fine. Typically you'd be looking at a range of .98 - 1.02 for a pass on a production car. Lambda 1 equates to a perfect stoichiometric fuel/air ratio which the cat needs in order to reduce oxides of nitrogen. Since oxides of nitrogen tend to very low under light load they can't sensibly be measured directly at MOT time, hence the insistence on a good lambda figure.

In any case high hydrocarbons simply indicate poor combustion. This can be caused by being too rich OR too weak (lots of other causes too), so being a bit weak doesn't guarantee low emissions, although it generally does mean a low CO figure.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Thanks for all your help, it was a combination of the lambda probe going knackered (apparently they don't like damp garages) and the fuel pressure regulator needing tweaking! Well I'm £300 lighter and CC are better off but at least I'm legal again, just in time for the summer! *cool* *thumbup*

Thanks again

IAN

IAN (got the Green and Yellow Fever!!!)