Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tire size on 14in Minilites (for racing)

Darth G-F

What size do you guys suggest for 14in Minilites? The default size is 185/60-14 but I'd like to try some thing larger. The car will see it's fair share of racing and I want the best grip possible. I will probably buy A032R-S tires or something stickier like Khumo V700.

What are the racer using on 14in wheels? Is it recommended to put wider tires in the back? Finally what tires pressure do you use on the track?

Looking around past tyre related posts, the general consensus seems to be that 13" wheels are the best for track with between 185 and 205 width tyres. This can limited by the wings though. 13" tyres are supposed to be fairly cheap compared with the other sizes.

I've got some awful 185-70-13s on my Seven, when I've worn them out (or picked up a puncture) I''ll buy some 185-60-13 A048Rs. These do seem thin to me too, I run 195-50-15 F1 GS-D3s on my MX-5.

Remember that the Seven will be less than half the weight of your Miata so it won't need as much rubber, see this thread for an example:

http://forum.miata.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=016006

look for Stephen Rea's comment.

Also, the extra weight of heavier tyres (and wheels) will make the suspension less reactive resulting in a worse ride.

Anyway, 18psi seems to be a good starting point for tyre pressure.

Have you had your test drive yet?

I've never watched a single episode of The Prisoner. Ever.

D'oh! Didn't realized that you guys write "tyres" instead of "tires", this might explain why a search only resulted in 2 threads... I'm picking up slowly with the British English. Sorry. *smile*

Well I just think 185 is very thin indeed. I am curious as to what do racers use. They usually know what works best for their cars. I know what's best for my Miata, but it's obviously different than a seven. For example, my Miata seems to really enjoy 38psi at the track and 34psi on the street. I wouldn't even think about trying that with the seven.

Manky, I should have a first test drive on march 27th. Then another one sometime in april. But the best thing is that I finally have found an insurance company willing to cover the car! 😬 *thumbup* *thumbup* I couldn't be happier. I can't wait to actually drive the beast.

Edited by - Darth G-F on 19 Mar 2004 03:16:05

• Support Team

The lower powered race series (Academy, Roadsports A & B) use 185/60 13" all round. The Superlight/R400 racers use 185 front and 205 rear. On these sizes a Caterham will out corner most road going cars. As has been said a Caterham will be half the weight of even a Miata.

For trackdays most people start at around 18psi cold for soft tyres like Yokoham A032 and A048. The racers who have to use harder tyres because of the regulations seem to use a huge variety of pressure, mostly higher than those for the soft tyres.

Some sprinters use up to 215 width at the back.

Hope this helps.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

I think the best road legal grip is provided by ACB10s. IIRC, the R500 uses 245mm variants at the rear. Of course this is 13". 14" may be available buy they won't be cheap. 9" ands 10" slicks are not uncommon on hill/sprint Caterhams.

Why not just have 2 sets of wheels - i.e. slicks on 13", and whatever road tyres on 14".

J351 TPE - Battered Old Chassis with a gearbox and half an engine!

The car has a 185hp Hayabusa, it's a SV and weighs only 1070lbs. About R400 hp/ton ratio.

The two sets of wheel is a good idea. But I like crazy grip on the street. I drive on 205/50-15 Toyo RA1 on the street. More grip than you can ever need on the street. Do you know if the RA1 are too hard to bring to temperature for the Caterham? They are tough to bring to temp in the Miata (too light) no kidding.