Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Adjustable Cable Nipples

Tony C

For emergency throttle cable repair purposes I bought a couple of bicycle inner brake cables from Halfords, but they didn't have any "screw-on" nipples. One end of the brake cable is the right size to fit in the TB, but a "screw-on" or swaged nipple would be required for the pedal end. Halfords only had the swaged type and though this can be swaged with a pair of pliers, I wanted a screw-on type.

I visted all the local bike and motorbike shops in my area and drew a blank.

Got some screw-on nipples, mail order at 30p each from here

They are a bit smaller in diameter than the one that fits the TB, but would work as a "Get-you-home" fix.

I know it's best to carry a spare throttle cable, but the Rover part isn't much good for DTH TB's.

If anyone's even slightly interested 😬 - TWANG

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

An equally good get you home tip is to keep the bits the next time you break a 13A elec plug. Cut the terminals down, keeping the threaded bit and brass screw, to make usable cable nipples. You may laugh at me but one Sunday afternoon after the shops have shut you'll have a broken cable.

Good one *thumbup*

These sort of things need airing *eek*

Any more "Bent coat hangar" emergency fixes out there 😬

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

In fact, if you buy an electrical strip connector you get about 10 screw on nipples and you dont even have to cut them down (though you can use a stanley knife to get rid of the plastic outer). Each one has 2 screws, which I view as kind of belt and braces. Works a treat on my throttle cable as well as ARB adjuster cables, as a permanent fix let alone 'get you home'.

G