Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2nd PROBLEM - STARTER WOES

grumpy the 7th

Wot a journey home....

Called in to Toddington services on M1 north (about 60 miles)??? bought a bun, started the car and drove to the petrol pumps. Filled up, paid, got bac in the car & CLICK !!!!!!!!!!

I've read the posts so knew what to do But couldn't get the protective plastic cap off the solenoid live terminal. Tried rocking the car, pushed it away from the pumps and phoned the RAC. 10 mins later he arrived & I explained the problem. The guy got a metal bar & mallet & tried that first - no joy. Then his big screwdriver with sone radiator hose as insulation, off came the 'plastic cap' & sparks duly flew. the solenoid clicked in but the starter motor didn't turn - BUGGER! - looks like it's the starter??????

COULD IT JUST BE THE BRUSHES??? ARE THEY EASY TO CHANGE??? AND IS IT ROVER OR CATERHAM BESPOKE????

As for the 'famous' hot start issues

Do I simply take off the thin wire (with the spiral wrap) off the solenoid & run it to a relay backed by an earth. With a new 28 amp wire from the battery, through the contacts & connect the 'live' switched 12v to the solenoid??????

rog

C7 TNT (it's dynamite)