Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust needs polishing

Clay Head

Last done in the late 90's I fear that my exhaust may take most of the summer to get it back respectability. Does anyone have any handy tips for mirror finish from saucepan finish in one weekend? - options outside of doing it myself will be considered!!!

Sorry- seem to have repeated myself when I lost the connection

Edited by - Timothy Moore on 17 Apr 2001 22:16:32

Tim,

Unless you can find a Professional polisher, there is no option that I know of but elbow grease!!

I used a wire brush in an electric drill to start with, then progressed to emery paper or cloth, using finer and finer grades.

Then used wire wool soaked in Solvol Autosol to get rid of the grain marks. Finished the job with final polish and cloth.

What a horrible job and it doesn't last either, and you need to keep on top of it to maintain the appearance.

It took ages and so if you can find a metal polisher, I would recommend it!!

If anyone posts an easier method, I will be most interested but also suicidal!!!

Andrew

Tim,

Unless you can find a Professional polisher, there is no option that I know of but elbow grease!!

I used a wire brush in an electric drill to start with, then progressed to emery paper or cloth, using finer and finer grades.

Then used wire wool soaked in Solvol Autosol to get rid of the grain marks. Finished the job with final polish and cloth.

What a horrible job and it doesn't last either, and you need to keep on top of it to maintain the appearance.

If anyone posts an easier method, I will be most interested but also suicidal!!!

Andrew

Tim,

Andrew

Tim,

Andrew

Tim,

Andrew

Tim,

Andrew

Tim,

Andrew

Tim,

Andrew

Tim,

Andrew

Tim,

Andrew

Tim,

Andrew

Tim,

Andrew

Tim,

Andrew

Tim,

Andrew

Tim,

Andrew

Andrew,

You're not the only one with this problem, but have a look a the thread on ChitChat called 'mmmmuulltttippllee pppoossttinnnggggs'. The advice there seems to work for the time being.

Chris Alston

Se7ening - it's all miles and smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Tim

I bought a polishing kit from a motorcycle shop but it was not so good. In Coventry where I work there is a metal polisher who is really reasonable - i had complete R500 system done for £100 and just the visible parts of a Superlight system for £30. doing it yourself is really messy and no fun at all

S31VEN

Nick,

How did you find the metal polisher.....Coventry is no use to me but I wonder how you located him....I searched in Yellow Pages, Thompsons and various other routes but could not find one in the Yorkshire area, which I find rather surprising.....

My system needs a rebuff and I really don't fancy doing it again, and I need a new silencer can soon!

Andrew