Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ride height / suspension

OAP

At its highest setting, my SLR400 gives 2.5 / 2.75 inches ground clearance when riding on 13" wheels and CR500's. I've just spent a knuckle skining Sunday moving the collar holding circlip to the next groove up the damper body, extending the unit by 2 inches, and pretensioning the springs.

Now at its lowest setting, I have 3.25 inches clearence (Iexpect this will settle after I use the car) but no opportunity to adjust lower.

To get adjustment I am going to have to have a new groove cut in the damper body half way between the two lowest grooves. Surely this can't be right? Has anyone else with an SL had this problem?

Hi Martin,

I've always had a clearence problem, ever since I built the car, and am now on my second sump plate. However, the handling was just so good that I didn't want to make changes, but I'm taking the car up to the Lakes later this month and don't want to spend all the time dodging around potholes.

Len Unwin advised moving the circlips, and the car is now higher, but I also want adjustment to bring it back down to where I like it when the occasion permits. I can't think I'm the only one with this issue, which is why I asked if you could measure your damper (so I know which circlip groove you are using) knowing you don't have the problem.

Really not sure as to why the car will not get the right ride height. It used to be that Gary did all the dampers in batch's, but as we now only do odd one's now and again, they either come from Bilstein ready grooved, or the new ones are done elsewhere. We also find that we usually do have to do them on cars we get in for set up work. To get the right rake and to be able to move the weight around, for corner weighting and handling balance, the adjusters really need to be somewhere near the middle. I can only think that the factory, have so many wheel tyre combinations and with people having different needs and requirements there are obviously positions that will not allow you an adjustment to exactly where you want.

Edited by - Len Unwin on 2 Feb 2004 19:42:56