Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Will a bigger engine just drop in ?

Chris Byrne

At the moment have normal ford 1600 Xflow with twin 40s. I did think about sourcing a 2nd hand 1600 and having it bored to 1700 and "mess" with that. Friends have said that a 2.0l from an old Sierra will have the same block etc. Does this mean that the 40s and exhaust will fit in the same place ? Secondly, if the engine issue is ok, will a five speed gearbox/gearstick also fit into the right place? Currently only have 4 speed box.

The Sierra 2.0L is probably a pinto engine which wont fit into a Caterham as it's too tall. It's completely different from the XFlow, and one of the worst engines ford ever made. If you're going to fit a bigger engine, the Zetec is your easiest option.

Back on the road *thumbup* and now at 100,079 miles. Photos here

The sierra probably uses a pinto, which is not a straigth swap for an Xlfow. Could be wrong tho. You could swap the 4 speed for a 5, but I think you might need to move the gearbox mount (depends on chassis), and have a different driveshaft! Could be wrong on that front too 😳

Sig: If it is such a big issue why are the WSCC, Piston Heads, SELOC, BBC, Channel 4 ... not members only?

Chris, Did'nt the Sierra had the pinto engine, i am sure it had it on the mainland.

Depending on the age of your chassis and the type of rear axle going from 4 to 5 speed can be easy to more labourous. It all depends on the fact if you have a support witch can take both box'es, if so you will need a g.box spacer and a new propshaft.

Thanks guys, I think you just saved me £100. Why is it that when I first bought my baby, the power was awesome - now I just want more and more. P.s. I hope I'm not the only one who still braves these bitter nights armed only with a bobble hat, sun glasses and a smile, slowing only when the icy wind makes my eyes weep. Returning home to be greeted with "bloody idiot!".