Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High Spec rear brakes

Mike Biddle

With the handbrake attachment are in production and should be ready for delivery mid Feb. I got their new catalog today and they list at 180 pounds each, plus pads of your choice and FAT of course.

Intrestingly, they have designed this feature into all of their calipers for rear end use.

I will be ordering, anybody have any views on whether or not to go for vented discs, or use the originals?

If anybody wants a copy of the page I can scan & e-mail.

The High Spec rears looked useless to me. The inboard piston that houses the hanbrake mechanism has a flat surface presented to the rear of the pads and is made out of Aluminium, I would be concerned that this will efficiently transmit most of the heat generated by the pad directly into the caliper and the fluid. I quized the guy on the stand who reported that they had not tested them on track to date .

Also they are not totally mechanical handbrake system, they still need hydraulic pressure to hold the opposite piston out *confused* So in the event of a fluid failure you will not be able to stop the car on the handbrake, query if the calipers will make the MOT standard is an issue 🤔

Riding Donkey's, in Search of Ponies.!

I am not sure they would even fit the Caterham as the the whole caliper assembley required at least 105mm clearance inboard from the centre line of the disc, I think the protruding handbrake actuation lever may foul the radius arms.

Peter T Are you sure? that they were a stored energy device, if thats the case then they will not meet MOT/SVA regs. I Find it hard to accept thet High Spec would have developed a caliper that is of non compliant.

When you consider how well designed the ford caliper is, it takes a lot of engineering skills to better it. Also it has been around for 18yrs +, and to date no one has bettered it untill now, obviously the ford mechanism has a good patent on it.I was told that the new caliper is not sva approved yet as it does not meet currents regulations regarding separate mechanical handbrake linkage. If they do meet the new regs then i will seriously consider a pair even though a brake bias will be needed due to improved piston area.

*thumbup*

Riding Donkey's, in Search of Ponies.!

Two pot rear calipers with integral mechanical handbrake mechanisms have been around for years I had a set of Bendix calipers on my 1991 Lotus Esprit which worked well. Surely someone can design a more modern product to fit the Caterham. The neatest solution I have seen is that fitted to the Radical SR3 which runs with a separate bespoke mechanical handbrake caliper along with the 4 pots. The only snag they cost £375 for the pair.

Rob.

My '82 Esprit S3 hand brake was poor with not much mechanical leverage at the hand operation end. I replaced the original unit with the folding down type 'cos a) I had a spare new style one given to me, b) the new style meant less rips in trousers as they didn't catch on it as you tried to extricate yourself (it is legal!!!), and c) the old one came away in my hand one day (fractured weld)!!!

It used to suffer cable stretch in the handbrake too but after a lot of fiddling around, spacers etc I got it to work quite well. I guess it might suit a Caterham. Not a cheap set-up, but what is?

PS Rob. Replaced that brake assy without sill removal (but made a new access hatch in the top section under the carpet with a neat cover although I say it myself)