Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spare live - ignition ON

PACR

I'm wiring up a Low Oil Pressure light (using a standard K-series sender) and whilst looking at the loom under the dash noticed there's a load of capped off wires. Are any of these a source of 12v with the ignition on?

PACR

If you want 12v with ignition on, but for it not to be live with the ignition off - you can use:

White - Ignition unfused power or

Green - Ignition fused power

This is from the wiring diagram for K-Series variants, 2001 onwards (EU2 and EU3)

Available here

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

PACR - "using a standard K-Series sender" - I don't quite understand.

It's possible - I've done it - to instal a low oil pressure switch that will illuminate a warning light when the oil pressure drops below 30 psi (this is adjustable). As far as I'm aware, the standard switch will only put the light on when the oil pressure drops to zero, which may be too late *eek*

If you're interested, send me an e-mail and I'll attach the parts list for a remote low pressure switch and light, available from "Think Automotive", this gets the oil pressure switch away from the standard vulnerable location.

BRG Summertime Brooklands SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Bugger - I got a standard oil pressure switch (not sender... sorry for confusion) which simply fits in palce of the blanking grub screw in the top of the sender / oil filter housing. I was going to wire it up firstly just as a lamp gaffer taped somewhere and then try to fit a bright LED or lamp in the oil pressure gauge housing as a neater solution. It was only because the switch was cheap and the blanking plug looked the right thread that I bothered trying. I can't remember the switching pressure or tolerence for the switch off hand - just figured that if it ever came on I'd better stop. I think it was more than zero, but not much more! I figured it would be useful on trackdays to make sure I wasn't running at low oil pressure on the long corners - I don't have the skill to get maximum cornering force whilst looking at the gauge needle (which wobbles about anyway) - a light flashing on will be easier to spot.

PACR