Click here if you are having website access problems ×

tyres & directional arrows

Drumster

Took some new wheels today to George Polley who fiited Yoko 21Rs. Great.

Just checked the wheels and I think I may have a problem in that looking at the wheels lying flat on the floor 4 have arrows in one direction and the fifth is in the other direction.

Therefore it seems to me that I will end up with 1 or 2 wheels running the wrong way whichever may I fit them to the car (even if I reverse the arrows on the front wheels) Have I got this right ?

Is it imperative to ensure the tyres are fitted correctly before putting them on the car or will it do no harm for a few miles until I get it sorted?

Chris Alston

My 021's all roll in the direction of the road. Some have mounted the fronts the other way to get better braking.

There was a previous thread on this and the summary from that was that it makes no difference on the road. Maybe in extreme conditions on the track you may notice less braking ability from the fronts but even that was doubtful. As I remember the info source was from Yoko themselves.

If all 4 were mounted exactly you could be in trouble. This is what I can deduce playing with the model Lotus 7 near the computer.

A place like Polley's should get these things right I would have thought!

I have got my tyres on with all the direction arrows facing forward 'cos my MOT man said if they weren't like that then he'd fail it! This of course means that two are facing one way, and two the other way (when they are laid on the floor).

Suggest you get them sorted by Mr G.P !

The arrows on tyres are specifically labelled "rotation" or "drive". If they have "drive written on them then the wheels on the undriven axle should have the arrows poointing in the opposite direction to rotation. If they have "rotation" written next to the arrrow, all four tyres should have the arrows pointing in the direction of rotation when moving forwards.

The direction of "rotation" labelled tyres is critical to dispersement of surface water, nothing else.

Chris - If I took my car for an MOT at your garage I'd reverse it into the test bay!!!

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a not so Slow Vauxhall wink.gif

See the R500 eater here

See the Le Mans Trip Website here

Arnie is right. The reason Yoko gave me for the arrows (drive) was that the internal steel belt has an overlap and the direction of drive (applied force) needs to be correct to prevent possible complications. However, the man then said in a car as light as a Seven it makes little difference.

Small Boy - with Big Toy!