Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series with QED kit mod

Tony Martyr

Anyone interested in the QED TB's and dta ECU modification can see a photo of my installation thanks to Alex Wong at:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/alexwong/tonyeng2.jpg

Note the position of the Jenvey throttle linkage which has made the whole thing work properly.

Surely K series Caterhams registed before the SVA deadline must command a price premium because those registered since that date can't be modified like mine because of MOT emission tests?

Rob,

My concern is not the retention of the Cat Exhaust with its un-modifiable back-pressure but the mapping. With the pre-SVA models you can change the map to produce your own version of preferred performance whereas the SVA models (I assume like the new homologated models I work on) have been optimised for emission standards in force at the time of build.

Tony,

I still dont see a problem emission testing is at idle, the engine can be mapped to comply with these limits knowing that it will never be run under load at idle revs. As you progress up the rev range and load sites you optimise fueling for power and slightly richer for safety.

Tony, I may have the only Rover K series in the States. It was built by QED, so Caterham hasn't been much help in questions about it. Your picture has been helpful. Where do the two Blue hoses coming out of the head end up? Since it's also a Dry Sumped Left hand drive model, anyone have a good suggestion as how to mount an altenator since there is no room on the right because of the dry sump pump and the steering interferes on the left. Only thought I have is to mount it on the front of the engine and run it backwards. Additional pictures of K series wiring and plumbing would be appreciated.

Tom,

Send your email address to me at 'spanner-monkey@msn.com' and I will send you any shots you need.

The blue hoses are from the camcover and originally went into the inlet plenum. Now they go through the backplate of the filter so that vapour is drawn into the inlet. I doubt both are necesary but it is easier to fit them than to block one off.

You have to be very careful that any fitting on the inside of that backplate is locked so as to avoid it coming loose and being injested

Cars fitted with catalytic convertors can be tuned for high specific power outputs in the same way as none catalysed cars. The only problem with a catalyst is that you must ensure that the temperature of the brick inside the cat does not exceed a certain temperature for sustanined periods (temp is dependant on type of cat). Usually the exhaust port temperature limit will come come into play at about the same time anyway so there is very little difference.

The confusion about tuning modern engines is that people like BBR /superchips claim vastly improved driveability etc. This is because they can add lots of fuel during transient conditions (putting hydrocarbon emmisions up) to improve performance whereas the original manufacturer can't because he has to meet extremely tight emission regulations. These are measured with the car driven on a rolling road through a simulated drive cycle.

Most engines can be made to beat current MOT CO regs without even fitting a cat by leaning out the fueling anyway. The current R500 is a good example of all the above. The engine produces over 125BHP/litre which beats even the Honda S2000 and BMW M3 which are industry standards!! So how can little old Caterham / Minister humble the mighty BM etc, because they dont have to pass any EU regs on emmissions!! Just MOT idle tests. In fact it has been unofficially said that Caterham recommend removing the cat after the SVA so that it doesn't wear out (probably due to overtemping and running lean at the wrong times)!! Sorry to harp on about this but it is upseting when people get the wrong idea about cats and tuning. Just use a lambda sensor to run 14.5 AFR at part load and you wont go wrong. So you'll lose 2BHP, most people cant notice 10BHP difference.

Anyway, dont worry about it, keep tuning. BC