Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Emissions Tests the Definitive Answer !!

mike ashurst

Hi Folks,

I've just had the pleasure of my 1.6K Supersport failing it's MOT on the dreaded CAT test. (Full saga at V5's and MOT's)

Just in in case there's anyone who may be in a similar situation who doesn't know the answer and who missed the saga here's what you need to know:-

First of all, courtesy of Len Unwin(ex Caterham service manager):-

"Any Caterham built before July 98 needs only to comply with visible smoke

requirements as they are all deemed to be amateur builds. Even if the car

was fully built at the factory, before July 98 it was only ever supplied to

the customer still requiring work to qualify for amateur build status. That

is not to say that the car was not pushed from production to the service

area where the Service Department would finish the car. As you may imagine,

this is a bit of a "grey" area. As far as the MOT station is concerned, if

the car was built before July 98 it is amateur built. If customers had any

problems I always suggested (when I was service manager at Caterhams) that

they asked the MOT station to ring me at the factory. We would then explain

the situation. From memory, I believe it is section 6, sub-section 4 of the

MOT handbook."

Len's quite correct on the section numbers, I have now seen it myself, the only slight modification would be ti his first sentence which should read "Any Caterham built (from a Kit or set of Component kits)...."

The reference in the manual says something about cars that are amateur built (i.e. from kits or components as in 90% of Caterhams) should be treated as vehicles first used before 1975 and subjected only to a visible smoke test.

Lastly you need to be able to prove that your car was amateur built (In case your tester is a Jobsworth like mine). I got this Information from James Whiting, he's a really nice helpful bloke.

To do this you will need to look at the chassis number. The first 8 digits are the ones you need to look at, here are mine:-

SDKRDKCR - this is followed by a string of numbers

Of particular interest is digit 6 - in my case a K. This stands for kit built, it could be a C, for component built, or an F, for factory built. If its a K or a C then you are OK, you just need your tester to ring Caterham and ask them the question. James told me that around five years ago the Ministry issued some loose leaf directives which include info for the testers about Caterham chassis numbers which could be checked for proof, but he thought the easiest way to prove it would be to get them to ring the factory.

So that's it, thanks again to Len and James,

Mike

The above is all true, but I was told at a previous MOT that this gives you no protection from the occasional road side emissions tests that take place. These, confusingly seem to operate to a different set of rules. Trying to explain to a blank faced copper that your pre-98 pride and joy should be treated as if it was pre-75 is not likely to get you far, even if you have that day's MOT certificate in your hand. It seems odd to me, but there again, it is probably daft enough to be true. Joined up government, eh!

"Lastly you need to be able to prove that your car was amateur built (In case your tester is a Jobsworth like mine)."

This is written on the V5 registration document below the list (if any) of previous keepers.

For my car it says:

1. Kit Built - Assembled from new parts.

This is good enough.

Its good practice to ask around wehre others get theier Sevens MOT'd. I found Days Garage in Merle Common (just south of Oxted) know nothing of the mirror or side repeater requirement, and East Grintstead Tyres last year put my car on the ramps, looked under the bonnet in admiration and issued the form. In establishments like this if your car is clean, it will pass. Also with a car so definative as the Seven, any major fault (such as those the MOT detects) will be detected in normal driving anyway.

Arnie Webb

The Fat Bloke blush.gif in a Slow Old Vauxhall wink.gif

>>This is written on the V5 registration document below the >>list (if any) of previous keepers.

>>For my car it says:

>>1. Kit Built - Assembled from new parts.

Not on mine.

Mine is a component-built car as evidenced by the C as the 6th character in the VIN but mine says:

1.NEW AT FIRST REGISTRATION.

Well it would....

On a componenet car the factory did about 90% of the work.....

Find an MOT station you can bluff.

Arnie Webb

As I have said several times, go to an MOT station where the tester (or his boss) owns a 7.

If they also maintain it it is even more unlikely that they will ever fail it. Jobsworths will fail a car with full harnesses as you can't do them up with one hand. Then again you couldn't do that with the original non inertia belts that I have just replaced.

Gary,

What MOT Stations do you know where the tester drives a Seven??? I think you have to find the ones with the testers who are easily impressed by something a little different....

I can do six point Lukes up with one hand....Just..... I think the law is to UNDO with one hand...

How many child seats do you know that can be done up with one hand???

Arnie Webb

Hi again folks,

Just for the record,

"This is written on the V5 registration document below the list (if any) of previous keepers.

For my car it says:

1. Kit Built - Assembled from new parts.

This is good enough."

Mine is a kit as proved by the K at the sixth digit, and my V5 has no mention whatsoever of it being a kit built car.

Further, the tester has a book which lists every car that has to be tested and gives the standards that it should comply with. This manual lists 4 varieties of Caterham, and calculates a 3-digit VIN code from the 6th 8th and I think 9th digit of the chassis number. The codes for the 4 Caterhams in the list all begin with F. My tester eventually realised this and said "It's not here in my list so that means I don't have to test the emissions"

Cheers

Mike

Yeah, the 'F' is factory built.

The tester is wrong though.

When the VIN doesn't appear in the list on the machine he should move the cursor down to 'Unspecified Model' (or words to that effect)leading to other questions which usually result in a test requiring max CO of 3.5% (I think)

Still,now you've found an easy test stick with it and tell all your kit car friends where.

Well according to Len Unwin:-

"I always suggested (when I was service manager at Caterhams) that

they asked the MOT station to ring me at the factory. We would then explain

the situation. From memory, I believe it is section 6, sub-section 4 of the

MOT handbook."

i.e. Caterham confirm it's kit built, then the tester checks section 6, which tells him to treat it as a pre 1975 car which should only be subjected to the visible smoke test. I've now seen the MOT handbook, and that's what it says.

Mike

• 22 years later...