Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electromagnetic interference - lots of it

julians

One of my neighbours came over to me this evening whilst I was getting the car out, to tell me that he cant watch TV whilst my engine is running ( he lives 5 houses away), I thought he must be mistaken, but went into my house turned the telly on and lo and behold lots of static, left the TV on , went outside and turned the car off, TV fine.

So, whats causing this and how can I fix it?

ENgine is zetec if it matters.

Thanks

Julian

Check the signal level into your television (local aerial installer should have a box to do this). If the signal level is below acceptable limits, then the TV receiver will be more susceptible to vehicle ignition interference. You may need to up-grade your aerial and you may get an irate neighbour demanding that you up-grade his wink.gif so move house teeth.gif

This posting kindly donated by clever friend who is a

TV Interference Officer (Retd)Grade 6

FH

Check you have suppression leads fitted, I would have thought on such a modern engine as a zetec they would be. Next check you have the correct spark plugs as many modern engines use a plug that has current iimiting resistors in each plug in addition to the HT supression leads. These are usually fitted to engines that run distributorless and wasted spark system in an attempt to make the plugs last longer by limiting the current drawn through the plug as on wasted spark the plug will spark twice as often and hence half the plug life if not current limited.