Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Static vs. Drive by noise comparison

stevefoster

Is there a rough rule of thumb to convert static 0.5m 45 deg angle dB test to approx drive by value. Any practical insight would be much appreciated.

? Static dB = 98 dba drive by

or

100 db static = ? dba drive by

In my case

104 dB static = ? dba drive by

My racing info site

here

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Light blocks

here

I dont think its possible to link the two together , using my car as an example . I record 98Db static ( 0.5m @ 4500rpm ) , most of this noise comes from the exhaust tailpipe .

The drive by noise is dependant upon the position of the noise meter relative to your car , engine speed , engine load and most of all what type of induction you are using - inside bonnet or poking out . Position of the meter can vary from day to day or track to track .

As a practical example at Donnington , I run a K with throttle bodies, the trumpets are poking out of the bonnet enclosed within a Ram air filter .

I recorded the normal 98Db static for my car , nowever the drive by noise is measured by a microphone below the gantry on the start / finish line .This for me is about 7500rpm under full load in 4th gear ( about as noisey as it gets ) the recorded level was 107Db *eek*

On the same day a superlight R also recorded 98Db static , but then recorded 103 Db drive by .The induction on the SLR was the normal filter enclosed behind the bonnet .

The limit for the day was 105Db drive by ( except when a 747 flies over *wink*) the nice official asked me to short shift to 5th gear , I then recorded 105Db 😬.

Hope this helps .

dave

Edited by - Dave Jackson on 31 Oct 2003 07:59:32

Steve

Most people I have spoken who have had noise problems say that their drive-by is higher than their static. I hear stories of lifting off or short-shifting in the vicinity of the noise meter.

As the others have said it is dependant on a lot of factors. If you are 104 dB static, don't expect to be quieter when you are flat on the gas.

AMMO

Steve ,

why do you need 98Db ?

I thought Bedford areodrome was the only place that had this ultra low limit ??

I dont think you or me will ever get less than 105 db drive by with your carbs or bodies poking out the bonnet . Unless you cheat of course and lift the throttle , but then many circuits have multiple microphones .......

Dave

Steve, I got through fine. They mentioned in the briefing that they had to be strict on noise, but I don't think anyone got black flagged. There was a very noisy Vauxhall Seven there, and several other cars were quite loud. Not sure, but I think they may have unofficially relaxed the rules because there were so few cars there.