Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 Owners

C7 MRW

Had my R500 just over a week now and would appreciate some advice:

- >5000 rpm in any gear is truly awesome, <4000 in any gear the engine "pops" and "hunts", in fact around 4000 - 4500 it seems to lose the plot completely! Very difficult to drive slowly, honest officer!

- exhaust pipe exit is very black, running rich or normal?

- there's a whining noise on tick-over which disapears when the clutch is depressed. Thrust bearing on the way out or normal?

Cars got 1200 miles on the clock. I'd welcome input from existing R500 owners.

Mick

Mick, I can possibly help with black sooty exhaust question, if your motor is running on the filthy vile unleaded petrol then you will probably only ever get black, no nice grey, like with the old carcinogenic fuel of old. This problem was experienced soon after I shifted here to New Zealand, where our caring, sharing, (interfering) government took real petrol off the market, many problems for many people with older cars, or elderly engines, so, probably nothing to untoward with the exhaust, it's all caused by the different formulation of this psuedo petrol, and a word of caution to any fellow seven owners looking to get a quick fix in the form of cannisters of tin pellets, or lead additives to tip into the tank or fit in the fuel line, don't bother, various devices of this kind were put through extensive tests by the AA, and some universities and found to be of no use, may as well put the money toward going to unleaded cylinder head modification, hey well, I've rambled enough, keep it on the black stuff

Regards Nigel.