Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New 'Caged' FIA bar

Frying Pan

My new kit has come with the new 'Caged' FIA bar, which has an 'x' of diagonals rather then a single one. I've now fitted this, as I was getting a bit frustrated with the front end (see other post!), and it looks good.

It has a hole in each section of the 'x' (i.e. 4 in total) which must be for a new design Petty strut. There are also two holes about 4" apart in the top of the hoop. Not sure what these would be for, but may be a neat way of fixing a centre brake light *idea*

Guy

7hs,

My guess on the x-design (and replication of petty strut holes) is that this is just a cheap way of covering LHD.

What kind of size are the holes in the main hoop? I assume they are reinforced???

Might make more sense as fixing points for a bolt-on wheel carrier... *biggrin*

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Was e-mailing Caterham today about cage mounting bolts, so asked about the holes...

Holes in the 'x' are for headrests - Full marks to Charles 😬

Holes in the top cross bar are for a new Petty strut. Don't get a price on this yet.

Myles - you get half marks for your comments re RHD/LHD fitment.

Cheers

Guy

See some pictures of the build here

Holes in the top cross bar are for a new Petty strut. Don't get a price on this yet.

Bit worrying.... or it was until I realised that the Academy had gone to full cages...

Guy - can you measure the vertical height of the bar (i.e. from the top of the rear bulkhead to the top of the bar (allowing for the fact that the bar usually tilts forward, thus reducing real height...)

It was pointed out to me that my helmet is above the old std. FIA bar - and that's with tillets tilted back as much as possible... *eek*

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Petty strut seems a bargain at £30.41 +VAT +Shipping. I'll expose the lower mounting hole and get one next time I'm near Caterham...

Myles, Yankee - Forgot to measure the bar tonight and the car is all tucked up for the night - I'll do it tomorrow and post on here.

Guy

7heavensoon: When I'm in the car wearing my helmet the top of the FIA bar and my helmet are more less the same height. If I got the SLR cage is it taller so that my head might be protected in an unanticipated moment? Or, is there a "tall" version of the SLR cage? Thank you for the courtesy of your response *cool*

Myles / Yankee

Remembered to measure it tonight! Taken from the chassis rail where the harnesses and rail mounts, the top of the bar is 14.5 inches (37cm) tall.

Yankee - As Myles posted, this is purely the roll over bar, NOT a full cage. If you want the measurements of that, may be worth e-mailing Charles Elliott (website is www.academy2004.org) as he is biulding a car with this cage at present.

Guy