Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Quick Q - Pace vs Cat£rham..

k80rum

Hello all,

I just had a quick question about upgrading to a Rover dry-sump.

The two choices in front of me are Pace or Caterham. They both do the same job, the Pace system does it cheaper and people seem v happy with it. In favour of the Caterham system is the natty tank solution.

Apart from this, is there much difference - Is the Pace system a better solution in any way?

I'm happy to be a fool and part with the extra cash in order to keep Caterham in business, but if at the end of the day the Pace system does the job any better, well...that's what's most important isn't it?

Thanks for your help

Darren

(off to introduce K80RUM to Chester (it's been moved up from Surrey), whilst avoiding the tractors, horses, etc, etc)

The Caterham system retains the internal pressure pump. I think this is a good thing to get some warning before catastrophe if you lose the belt. With the Pace system a thrown belt will immediately lose all oil pressure.

The Pace system doesn't come with a tank to allow you to site a tank where you think best. There is at least one tank design that sits in front of the engine and causes problems for users at the moment with a lot of oil finding its way to the breathers - the Caterham tank is well-proven and doesn't have these problems. The packaging of the Caterham set up is very neat and allows you to remove the engine/gearbox for maintenance without draining the oil. The Pace system has two pickups. The Caterham has one. This is largely academic, as long as the Caterham setup works, which it does.

I really don't like the idea of running the pressure pump externally (Pace).

I do like the Caterham setup packaging.

I think the price of the caterham stuff is shocking.

Cheers PC, concise and to the point as always! Much appreciated, I shall do the requisite bank-job and add it to the upgrade list. Luckily the engine's coming out when I dismantle the car for cleaning and overhauling so that'll minimise the impact of fitting the thing.

All the best,

Darren (PS I still have your seat mounting CAD pics pinned up on my office wall back in Camberley as art - you emailed them to be yonks ago!)

Caterham's system uses a poly vee belt which is seriously long because of the way they've mounted the pump. This means it needs a complicated belt tensioner that seems to struggle at high revs on some cars.

Pace's other systems (and I presume this one) uses a short toothed belt which transfers the power to the pump without need for tension. Much neater, nicer and more elegant.

I have used a 3 piece (ie external 2 suction and pressure pumps) pace pump for 8 years and have never got even close to problems with the toothed belt. Virtually every dry sump system in motorpsort in the UK uses this type of external pressure pump with a short toothed belt to drive it. It's just a none problem. Don't worry about it.