Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electrical problem on new build - NOW RESOLVED!

Grubbster

I am trying to start the engine for the first time. However, when the ignition key is in position 1 or 2 the starter motor runs and in position 3 (the sprung position) it stops. This means something is transposed - could be on the switch or maybe a relay.

Looking at the multifunction plugs near to the ECU - MFRU Input Plug seems to be wired differently to the manual. The white and pink wire is on the top left pin (looking from the pin side), I think this is Pin 1. The diagram has this connected to the lower centre pin (Pin 5) which on mine is not used.

2 Questions:

1 Please can someone with a roadsport or classic take a quick look at theirs for me?

2 Does anyone know how to remove a wire from this MFRU plug please?

If you have time to call me please do! 0870 9044720

Cheers,

Steve

See some photo's here

It's arrived - build in progress

Edited by - grubbster on 7 Sep 2003 17:36:40

I've just looked a bit further and used a voltmeter to see what is happening:

On the input side:

When the ignition switch is in position 2 or 3, there is voltage on pin 2 (white cables) which I understand is fuel pump so that is fine. (this drops to zero with the switch in position 1).

When switch is in 1 or 2, ther is voltage on the pin with the read and white cable - this drops to zero in position 3. This is the starter motor trigger so seems to be ar5e about face to me.

I need to check someone elses or for someone to check for me? Anyone on-line close to Gosport I could come a visit for 5 minutes????

Steve

0870 9044720

See some photo's here

I agree Charles - the diagram is a bit misleading so I am assuming that the wires in the plug are OK. I have just been to look at a friends Superlight but it is not the same as mine so I can't compare.

Now I need to establish when the voltage should appear on the red/white wire as this seems to be wrong. You can't power yours up yet, but thanks for looking anyway.

See some photo's here

OK, first problem solved. One of Caterhams little wheezes I think - I managed to get to the back of the ignition switch, there was one unused pin, so I pulled off the red/white connector and pushed it on to this pin instead. Hey presto - all works fine *smile* *smile* *smile*

Now I have a new problem! the engine runs for about 3 seconds then dies. I have to reove the jey, put it back in again and then it fires up for another 3 seconds, etc etc. At this rate it will take a long time to get anywhere!!!

Anyone got any ideas? Could it be immobiliser related - can't seem to make anything happen pressing either button - the red light is always flashing???

See some photo's here

Steve,

I had exactly the same problem during my build- I think the 'transposing' of wires on the rear of the ignition switch multi-plug needs to be designated to the 'common but annoying' list which should be issued to all self-builders. That and the 'brake pads that won't pass past the cycle wing stays' weeze that Caterham never warn you about. *mad*

Engine-in day went well then?

darren f

The Building of R300SEV is Here