Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bleeding Brakes!

Grubbster

I have seen a few threads on this but none really answer my question.

I am building a new Roadsport with standard brakes. I have bled each wheel in the correct sequence three times now and I am not seeing any more air bubbles at all. But, the pedal is still reaching the floor (to coin a phrase!) so there must be some trapped air somewhere. There are no leaks so far as I can see.

Anyone advise on the magic solution to this or do I keep going around until I get dizzy and fall over?

See some photo's here

It's arrived - build in progress

If the pedal has a long travel but comes to a reasonably firm stop, then the problem is with the rear caliper handbrake mechanism. There are threads galore regarding that.

If the pedal is spongy then it's probably air in the rears. This can also be related to the handbrake mechanism. Again loads of threads regarding techniques for bleeding the Sierra rears in the Caterham installation.

If the pedal was actually reaching the floor without overt leakage then you may have a faulty master cylinder....

Paul

Thanks Paul. The pedal just doesn't firm up - it isn't particularly spongey either. At the limit of travel I can still rotate the front hubs by hand so something is very wrong! I'll come back to it next week.

See some photo's here

It's arrived - build in progress

• 2 months later...

Hi Tim,

In the end I did nothing! After bedding in (100 miles) they firmed up nicely and are fine now. The advice I got (eventually) from Techhelp was to try and bleed both rears together as sometimes a bubble gets caught in the Y of the de dion. As I say though, in the end I never touched them again and now absolutely fine!

Move on to next stage (you can always come back to this if necessary) - engine in soon I guess?? The you'll be posting about 'bleeding cooling system'!

See some photo's of my Roadsport build here

Have you tries bleeding them backwards? By forcing the fluid through the nipple. There are several kits for doin such things. Also check if you need any spacers or shims behind the mounting flange on the master cylinder. And as a quickie to try before bed time, prop the pedal down hard with a piece of something and leave it over night and try it in the morning.

savin up to be eccentric. but for now, i'll just be stupid...

it took me a while recently with new pads. I had to undo the rears rotate them and bleed with the bleed nipples as vertical as poss IYSWIM. Do this with the HB cables disconnected. I also had to bed the pads in. After a couple of attempts I got there (real PITA, up, down, take apart, put back together!). Also an easibleed helps rather than old fashioned pedal power. I am told that keepimg the pedal hard down with a block of wood overnight helps (no idea why, I haven't tried it).

Iam changing to flexi rear brake pipes to make the job of verticalization of the calipers easier in the future!

Graham