Click here if you are having website access problems ×

13''wheels and big brakes

Jan T

If the clearance issue is from the caliper to the spokes, rather than from the caliper to the inner circumference of the rim, then a set of thin wheel spacers would be cheaper than chopping your wheels in. 3mm looks to be the thinnest DT do, which would be ample, but I'm sure you could get something thinner made up by a machine shop.

In my experience, the KN Minator is ok. I've used mine with AP 4 pots. I have a set of Superlite 13x6's and these have been reported to be a problem with the AP's before, but they also fit over the caliper without a problem on my car. My first set of KN's were from Caterham and my others are not. They all seem to be fine. Never looked at the clearance closely but there is no scoring inside the rims.

Should be ok apart from you can't put balancing weights on that band of the inner rim.

Good tyre workshops can work around this and still balance them fine.

The R500 mag wheels have a much thinner rim profile and fit with clearance to spare...

There a nice weight saving (better still unsprung) upgrade you can justify..

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

Speedy Steve's Workshop, Servicing, setup, fitting here

I had a problem with the pipe linking the two halves of the caliper rubbing on the inside of the rim, which have eventually worn through the pipe!! I just had to ease the pipe slightly to give enough clearance. Worth checking before running! Also endorse comments re balance weights. Draw a pencil mark around the inside rim to show where the weights can and cannot be placed if taking the wheels into the tyre shop off the car.