Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Timing belt for 1400 k series engine.

Alan Mackew

I am having some difficulty sourcing a Timing Belt for a 1400 k series engine in my 1995 Caterham Supersport, Caterham cars say they are no longer in production, surely there is a supplier somewhere in the U.K. who still stocks this item there must be a lot of these engines getting around in England.

Can anyone help an old Aussie battler, this engine was never sold in volume in Australia.

Not in production nonsense, they are a service item.

Go to your motor factor with the old belt, he will get the ref no and match it with an equivalent. In the final analysis a cambelt is a cambelt is a cambelt, the difference is in lengths and tooth spacing. Bear in mind that when Rover specified the cambelt do you think they designed a specific item and had them made as a special batch, dedicated to one engine, or do you think they went to a power transmission belt manufacturer and said "what are your standard products, now then which ones will work..."

Your motor factor is very knowledgeable, especially if you can get a part no, either here or from the old one.

• Leadership Team

Same belt used on all 14/16/18K 16v engines. If you get one from Oily you'll probably pay less (approx £27 if I recall), and it'll be the Piper item which is uprated in that it is slightly wider therefore stronger / longer lasting etc. Plenty of space on the pulleys to go wider.

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 5 Aug 2003 23:16:24

Hi Guys,

I must say I am very impressed and grateful for the speed and number of responses to my question.I also sent a query to Pipers who have told me they can supply ex stock.

I am a member of the Lotus Car Club of Victoria and work part time as a Classic Car Insurance Underwriter (I'm 63 and semi-retired ) so if any one is planning a visit to this part of the world and needs some local knowledge please let me know,

Cheers and thanks again,

Alan Mackew

Or Redline, they got me one, I changed from 1400 to 1800 by converting

a 1600, I seem to remember getting the wrong belt first time around so

perhaps all engines 14,16,18 do not share the same belt.

Tony

Alan,

Don't buy a Piper belt unless you are going to change the crankshaft sprocket. The Piper belt is wider and does not fit on the standard 1400K sprocket. I know 'cos I still have an unused Piper belt lying around in my garage *confused* - I had to go and buy a bog standard belt from my local motor factor - (easier in the UK of course).

*eek* That's your company car !?! *eek*