Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Outdoor car cover

Jason Plato

Chaps.

I managed to get a cover off this site (yeah, I'm the lucky one) some months ago, after a lot of asking (Covercraft-75 UKP 2nd hand); BUT, if it's only a temporary job required then the blue plastic tarpaulin from B & Q (cost 3 UKP) does a good job. I used my std indoor cover (29 UKP) to protect from chafing/paint damage. Not ideal, but it can get you out of the s..t while you're waiting!

Edited by - chris clark on 11 Feb 2001 23:31:18

Classic Additions charge about £125 for a decent outdoor cover delivered (www.classicadditions.com). I believe that Covercraft supply Caterham (www.covercraft.com), who charge about £175 (before haggling). Both seem like a lot of money to me for a big bedsheet and a lump of tarpaulin.

If I can haggle a bit with Jason when I pick up the car next weekend I'll go for the Caterham supplied one (mainly because I'm lazy). If he won't move on the price I'll order the Classic Additions one.

Unless of course some kind person sells me one first.............

I don't have one for sale but info from personal experience as follows:

Covercraft Weathershield cover - 249.99GBP for a 7, though I got some money refunded as they sent the wrong colour. Nice cover, fits well etc. They do about 4 different fabrics so make sure you're buying the right one for your usage.

Cover Systems - IMO easily as good as the Covercraft one, though Covercraft say different (well they would wouldn't they!). I *never* had it leak, the car was kept safe, clean and dry (the cover was still fully breathable) and it only cost 85GBP brand new, with bag and securing strap. I think they can be reached on 01933 410851.

If I could have made Covercraft refund me the full amount for their cover I would have and bought the Cover Systems one instead. Why didn't I just stick with something I know worked? Who knows, just call me stupid (I guess I was in a "if it costs that much more it must be shed loads better" mood)!

Just my 2p worth. No link to either company.

C7 AJM

PS I suppose what I'm saying is that it's worth getting a new one from Cover Systems over waiting out for a used Covercraft one for about the same price...

Edited by - Andy Murphy on 12 Feb 2001 16:18:04

Unfortunately other authorities object to me putting up additional garages at my place and my other half tends to grab the car port first!

The Cover Systems one really is perfectly suitable and I believe is worth the cash - smooth on the inside so it doesn't knacker paintwork, "fitted" so it doesn't come off too easily, waterproof and bird cack proof which is great for obvious reasons and breathable so a wet car doesn't go rusty. They also protect against UV which stops paintwork fading.

I'm not sure what the Halfords one is like but if you're going to use the cover regularly I think it's 85 quid well spent on the CS one (no need to spend 200+).

And now I'm sounding like a salesman!

C7 AJM

PS By "doesn't come off too easily" I mean in gale force winds. It's easy to remove by hand!

Edited by - Andy Murphy on 13 Feb 2001 09:23:28