Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rose jointed A-frame

hubcap

Hi guys, fitted a rose jointed A-frame to my live axle car to overcome the A-frame bush disintegration problem. Trouble is the bearing is held in place by a circlip on either side and now the circlips are knackered and the axle floats about sideways ☹️ so I am back to square 1.

Anyone have experience of this and ow to stop it happening again. I am running 032R's and do a bit of track work but am amazed how quickly the thing has failed. Have thought about maching wider circlip groove and fitting a pair either side - dunno *confused* - help.

Hubcap

HUBCAP.

Get some shim sheet from your local engineering supplies and cut some shims. I used 6 thou sheet and from memory use three shims, works perfect now. This should be done right from the start really other wise you are relying on production tolerances, not a good idear.

CHEERS

CHRIS

Spherical joints are much weaker in the direction you are getting the side to side load, if I understand you correctly.

Ideally, the spherical joint should be mounted in a flat orientation, but I appreciate this requires a lot of reengineering. The smallest forces encountered at the A-frame joint are in the up/down direction.

PETER,

I agree with you in regard to the rose joint,they are loaded in the wrong direction and against a cir clip, it's not an ideal engineering solution, but caterham seem to come up with some strange solutions, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the lower rose loint on the front upright loaded in the same direction ( another reason why I'll stay with trunnions).

Needless to say I've run a rose joint A frame for 8 years and it hasn't failed yet.

CHEERS

CHRIS

Rose joints, like all things, will wear out if dirt and crud are allowed into the works, so on mine I fashioned some rubber seals, to fit in the "eye" of the A frame, and locate on the bolt, something around 3mm thick if I recall, seems to have done the trick, as I don't like the price of replacing the joints. You may be able to get heavier gauge circlips, but they might not fit in the groove, but for a few pennies could be worth a shot, regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.