Click here if you are having website access problems ×

momo quick release column fitting

zak

OK, thumbs and toes here wants to fit the quick release kit. I have a momo wheel and dashboard mounted horn and I have been given for me birthday 😬 a quick release kit.

Whats involved in fitting it - CC tell me its the top part of the column - this as an ignoramus worries me a bit. I have a basic socket set and a set of spanners thats it!

Help needed! *smile*

Zak

See my car here

You fix the wheel to the QR adaptor with 3 bolts (either domed or countersunk) and nyloc nuts. My wheel came un drilled so I had to mark it and drill it on the correct pitch and diameter (there is a centre punched mark to show you the centre on the back of the wheel.

Then under the bonnet, remove the big grub screw which attaches the upper steering column to the lower section. You can then slide the old upper section out (I think you'll need to have the keys in the ignition with the steering lock off) and insert the new one instead with a little grease (check the build manual, it will tell you where to apply and what sort to use). I'd leave the grub screw loose for a second now. Get in the car mount the new wheel on the splines and sit there and find a position you feel happy with. Not to close to the dash that you bash your knuckles, not to far that you cant easily get to the switches. Once happy torque up the grub screw.

You will now find that the steering lock no longer works as there is no flat on the QR removable column.

Hope that helps

BC

Thanks Bob, for all your help. I will have a bash this at the weekend. I have the momo wheel fitted at the moment so do you think I will need to drill it?? *confused* the correct pitch etc sounds like something I will definetely screw up if I have to drill it. Yikes! The rest I can manage.

Gonna do the oil pressure sender unit too. If time will also drain the whole coolant system and replace with new hoses got some silicon ones and I have to replace the heater 😳 hoses too. Any tips on getting the air out of the system - I understand you have to have a slope with the cars nose up the hill so to speak.

thanks for all your wisdom

Zak

See my car here

I have recently fitted the Lifeline QR with my exting MOMO wheel. Unless something has changed drastically the bolt centres for the standard steering column boss are the same as those on the QR boss. Mine fitted straight on, using the existing bolts. All I needed was three small metric nyloc nuts.

Note that with the wheel all centred up on the column you may find that the wheels no longer point straight ahead. In my case I had to release the bolt holding the lower steering column into the rack. Remove bolt. slide out the column, and reset the wheels to point straight ahead and then reinsert the lower column.

Regards,

Colin.

thank you very much - the bits arrived today - so I was flat out at work 'cos I am gonna take a flyer and give myself the day off to play with this!

Wish me luck!

thanks for all your advice

Zak

See my car here

The old column wont come out that easy. The steering lock (certainly on newer cars) operates on a boss welded onto the upper column, and this will not slide through the upper column bush.

Once you've slackened the grub screw (I'd probably replace it at the same time - they're prone to shearing when being re-tightened), pull the column up until it stops.

Look under the top of the column tube, and you should see a small rubber dot in it. There's a matching one at the top. Spray this area with rubber lubricant, then push the dots in and yank on the wheel. The 'dots' on the rubber bush might not survive, so it might be best to have a spare bush to hand.

Stuart

Right then, sourcing these grub screws, bushes and nyloc nuts - CC or Halfrauds - I bet the bush is a CC thing - damn its now 17.30 and I wanted to do this tomorrow. Any ideas - other than dont muller the existing one! 😬

Zak

See my car here

Zak,

I'd invite you round so I could give you a hand, and indeed you could do that if you like, but as you're doing extensive work, maybe it would be easier for me to come to you - I have tools 😬.

Drop me an e-mail and we could work something out - I live just down the road.

Cheers,

Tony

BRG SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

*cool* 😬 *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* 😬 *cool*

THANKS!

It's all worked out lovely! Had a bit of a battle with aligning the steering after I had fitted the QR wheel and boss - got some nylocs from bucks autos. Also, minor battle to get the upper column bush off the old shaft and then back in to place. Had to 'persuade' it! with a large mallet *wink*

Bit of major horror too *mad* noticed while tinkering with UJ on the column and rack - front anti roll bar mounting bolts ABSENT on the off side and only one done up on the nearside! So, while getting nylocs I got some bolts for that too! Jeez!

Changed the oil pressure sender without a battle and gained some confidence from that! 😬 before tackling the steering. Changed the heater 😳 rubber pipes and then got overconfident and decided to change the engine coolant hoses for the blue silicon ones I splashed out on. Two no problem but the one that has a 180 bend on the inlet side - hidden behind the rack etc etc I just could not get on for the life of me! *eek* Wheres the old one gone!

All retightened and checked, refilled with antifreeze on a slope - nose up - waited for it to get hot and squeezed the pipes and it gurgled and spat loads of bubbles out before settling down. Have I done it right? I will keep an eye on it for a bit.

the other pipe will have to wait until the engine comes out for some DVA work!

once again thanks for all your good advice and offers of help! *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Zak

See my car here