Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Why buy a Superlight R kit?

paul jacobs

Waynes question of whether to upgrade his old car or buy a new one got me thinking. [Again]

Perhaps I'm losing the point, but is it not possible to build a car to Superlight or 500 spec, but not buying the complete component set from CC, but using the appropriate CBU and then buying the parts you need, either from CC, or other outside suppliers or s/h.

Surely you could save a shedload of money doing it this way, and get exactly the car you want, and end up with something like PCs', Arnies, Mike B. or Graham Fords cars, all of which, as far as I know, started life as complete cars, and have been progressivly modified over the years.

The only two donwnsides I can see, are that it would be more inconvenient to source the bits indirectly, and when the time came to sell, it couldn't be sold as a pukka Superlight etc. The importance of this would be down to the individual. But the initial capital outlay would be substantially less, and there would be even more satisfaction in having done even more yourself, and lets face it, it isn't exactly a difficult build anyway. [Many thanks Caterham.]

Paul

Chris - hopefully you won't be kept waiting by this "Bob".

I'm trying to build a "fairlylite" VVC supersport at the moment. I've started from a CBU with watts link and no spare but fitted with fibreglass and windscreen etc. i was then planning to buy most of the packages (upgraded to SLR spec ) i.e. AP brakes, 6 spd box, LSD and widetrack but using an upgraded VVC engine (165+BHP but still VVC). I can't work it out thought, it will cost about £2000 extra to build it this way(as opposed to buying a complete SLR minus engine). Perhaps I'm getting my maths wrong?? I just can't justify the outlay to buy it all at once. But I can't use 2nd hand stuff as I want a current reg. Mmmm, oh well. I'll carry on dreaming for another year or so.

Exactly my plan.

I bought a 1600 Superlight and my plan is to take the engine to 180bhp, thus being very similar to the SLR and costing a hell of a lot less.( I reckon on a 5K saving after having the engine work done.)

The thing with the SL1600 is the chasis and g/box and transX is all the same as the SLR and SLR500. Same brakes, same carbon body work and nearly the same weight.

(once I get my windscreen off!)

It will be interesting to compare the performance on road between a modified SL1600 and an SLR.

Simon.

X777CAT