Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Recommended socket set for Caterham Build?

CharlesElliott

I'm gradually putting together/updating my tools for my Academy car build. Any particular socket set that people can recommend? I'd rather buy higher quality with fewer pieces, but the build manual doesn't appear very specific on what is needed.

1/2" drive? 3/8" drive? Both? Halfords? Machine Mart?

My torque wrench is 1/2" drive. If I need to torque up smaller bolts, is it fine to just use a convertor or is there some calculation needed as well to adjust the value?

Is it worth getting a torque wrench that goes

Charles

---

My Caterham Academy 2004 Diary

Halfords professional are quite nice. I've got a Clarke Pro kit from Machine Mart which is 3/8 drive which is OK except for the ratchet which fell apart after a week, then the replacement did too. Didn't bother exchanging it again so replaced it with a Halford's professional ratchet which has been OK. Obviously Facom, Snap-on etc are lots better but they're 10 times the price, not sure they're 10 times as good.

I've got 3/8 drive and 1/2 drive. I think you could do 90% of the build better with 3/8 than with 1/2 but they'll be a few where 1/2 drive is needed. One is the driveshaft nuts which need bigger, you normally use a 3/4 drive socket, a 1/2 drive ratchet and a 1/2 to 3/4 converter.

For the chassis I think a 1/2 inch torque wrench is good enough, it won't go below 20 lbft but in my opinion you can do most things less than 20 lbft by feel, ie nip it, tightish, lean on it.... The only exception would be things like con rod bolts which have to be absolutely spot on at quite low torques.

Definately Halfords Professional, great value and look good quality. I built mine with the 3/8" drive kit with the ratchet spanners. The problem is you will need metric and AF deep sockets and a set of allen sockets are ideal. The list goes on but at the end of it all you'll have a great tool kit.

*thumbup*

Charles

I went to MachineMart on Friday to get my set, as I got a flyer through the post offering VAT-free pricing on Clarke tools.

Was just going to buy some sockets, as I have a good ratchet (1/2"). In the end, I bought a Pro-25 AF/Metric set with both 3/8 and 1/2" sockets. Comes with a lifetime guarantee. Ratchets don't look the best, so may buy another one. Rest of the kit looks fine though.

Oh, by the way, ordered the Britool torque wrench from Tooled-Up at the weekend - still on offer 😬

I also bought my axle stands and trolley jack (Halfords), as well as odds and sods like a brake bleed kit at the weekend, so I'm all set I think. Only thing I need is Loctite - still not sure which one I need, and whether to get a big bottle or a 'super glue' sized one.

Too hot for gardening yesterday, so put a phone socket in the garage instead - expecting a few *confused* *mad*calls to Caterham during the build...

7HeavenSoon