Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear Anti Roll Bar Foul

smutly

Looking under the car the other day trying to find the source of an oil leak (another story) I noticed the rear anti roll bar fouls the diff. The result of this is that a small groove has been worn into the central rib on the diff casting. To offer some protection I have shrouded the bar with a piece of rubber hose. Is this foul normal? There also seems to be a reasonable bit of play in the anti roll bar bushes i.e. I can move the bar by hand! Should there be any movement.

If I need to replace the bushes, how is this done? as removing the aluminium clamps revealed a one piece bush. It obviously got on there some how but I can’t figure how.

Help

Yes it is normal. Some builders advise grinding away the rib on the diff casing and grinding down any excess height in the mounting lugs for the ARB in the side chassis rails. My advice is to take the ARB out and bend it around your knee so that it clears the diff; this does not impair the function of the ARB in any significant way.

ARB fouling the diff is usual and a known problem. Build instructions are to put a groove in the diff casing, however this does not get complete clearance. Usual practice is to bend the ARB slightly to get more clearance.

Some 'play' is also usual on the ARB from side-to-side in the bush brackets, nothing to worry about. The block / bracket set-up can be seen on page 4 of my build diary (9th pic down shows ARB set-up).

( *eek* *eek*Sorry to keep mentioning the build diary, ......but hopefully a picture saves a thousand words...)

darren f

The Building of R300SEV is Here

Removal of the ARB is greatly eased by removing the boot floor(drill out the rivets in the plywood portion and lift out, replace rivets with self tappers)and carefully tilt the honeycomb portion rearwards, after removing all the self tappers. Beware that the rear panel can be dented from the inside if the honeycomb is allowed to contact it . You will find this will give you much more space to thread the ARB out.

There are two different sizes of ARB bushes , and are colour coded. The new ones will go on easily, as per Tony's advice, with washing up liquid.

Malcolm

Shrouding the the anti roll bar with hose has reduced the amount of clonking for me also. I find it hard to believe Caterham have designed this and advice removing some of the diff casting. It dosen't look like a major issue to design the anti roll bar to not foul! Asking customers to get a file out or bend the anti roll bar is poor on a car at any price, let alone the price we pay for a Caterham. As I designer, I would be hauled over the coals by my company for producing something of this quality! Perhaps it's a deliberate measure to give us something to fiddle with in the garage!

Help

What a charmingly naive attitude. Welcome to the Seven. To believe the seven is "designed" is your first mistaken assumption.

As an engineer, I can see a bent antiroll bar as being an ideal solution and I wouldn't want a designer going anywhere near the car.for fear of:

A) Adding weight

B) Adding complexity

C) Adding cost