Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.6 K Series Oil Capacity

tillson

I've recently changed the oil in my 1.6 K series (No Apollo Tank. I have re-filled it with 4.5 litres of the prescribed Comma Oil. I've heard varying quantities mentioned from as little as 4 litres to a max of 4.5. Anyway, Ive put 4.5 in. Now when I accelerate the oil P dips to virtually nothing for a second or so and then recovers to about 4.5 bar. Same when cornering only it stays low until I'm going straigh again and is accompanied by a rattle which I assume is lack of oil to the tappets?

This didn't happen before the oil change. The dipstick is showing about 20% short of Max (Oil hot, engine running). Are the above syptoms those of too little oil in the sump? Is it safe to put in more oil than the 4.5 litres I already have in there? I'm not using it until I get this sorted for fear of engine damage.

Thanks for any advice.

Tom

It does sound like insufficient oil.

From my experience sump capacity assumes that the filter and pump are full of oil. If your filter was dry then you are likely to be a fair bit short in the sump.

I would estimate 250ml additional oil to safely bring you very close to full on the dipstick.

You should always fill the filter if possible, this reduces the risk of running the engine dry on first startup. Something I have always done after draining an engine is to disconnect the ignition and use the starter motor only to crank the engine until oil pressure is seen to register.

The engine is then guaranteed working pressure when you start it up for real regardless. *thumbup*

Still seeking number 1!

Thanks chaps!

I've added another 250ml which brings the hot running level up to the top of the dipstick and all seem well now.

I may consider an Apollo tank as the standard wet sump set up seems a bit fudge by Caterham to make the thing work.

Thanks again

Tom