Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cycle Wings

peewee7

• Area Representative

My 97 car doesn't have them fitted *thumbup* which I prefer. When I took the car for servicing at Millwood they did mention that they ought to be fitted and they could organise it for me.... until I mentioned that the car had only recently been MOT'd and the garage were perfectly happy with having indicators to the front and back only.

Not sure on the legislation but it wasn't a problem for me! [E]

HTH

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

Same here - recently converted to cycles, even bought some Pug 206 side indicators that I was going to fit in the side panels, but decided I prefer the cleaner looks without, and my MOT stations didn't say anything.

If you prefer without, then try the MOT and go from there.

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

Just tried the search - not working. Basically, a single front indicator is OK if it is of a wrap-around type. I think my tester felt that the bullet lens qualified. It then has to be visible from a position 1m out from the side of the car in line with the rear axle. Also OK with cycle wings - may not be true for flares. They also have to be E marked lenses - mine are...whether it has to be a certain E number I'm not sure. This is from the MOT testers manual.

Hope it helps..

I think the previous thread consensus was that some MOT places do and some dont.

Millwood certainly dont. Athough temporary repeaters are OK. So they were taped on to the wings 5 minutes before with masking tape, it sailed through, and then removed 5 minutes after.

Previous owner says the car passed many an MOT at "Big George's" garage down the road without them.

I believe the MOT regs mark them as "discretionary". Quite how an MOT item can be so determined is beyond me. I wondered if it was related to whether they were originally fitted to the car.

If you do fit permanent repeaters, I'd suggest checking if there are SVA rules. I read that they need to be visible from between 5 and 60 degrees from a fore-aft line through the rear indicator. Dont know where that leaves the wrap-around type?

Peter,

I think they are a definite SVA requirement on a Caterham due to the position/visibility of the headlamp stalk indicator. My 2000 car, SVA'd in May 2001 had to have them and n zillion pieces of edging rubber strip everywhere - including around the edges of the cycle wings themselves.

Talk to the factory but I think you will find this is a definite yes.

Brian

Why not leave the side repeaters off, and keep the old wings... (that's if these are replacement wings)... if the MOT tester wants poxy side repeaters, put the old ones back on for the test. I'm sure you aren't going to get hassle from the police or anyone for not having them.

If it's for SVA, then do as I'm doing - borrow a set with repeaters. I have got the little indicator bubbles to go into the headlamp shell, but if I can get away without any additional drilling and uglyness, then great.

Edited by - Lee on 30 May 2003 13:48:21